49th Chapter: One day at a Time

Erica looks through the different files on her computer as well as on her desk as well, her being in her room. She goes to down another energy drink before going to throw the empty can away in her trash can, her going to put her box braids in a high ponytail before looking back at her files.

"Hey Erica your parents let me in." Max says while she comes inside of her room.

"I'm quite busy Max." Erica says while looking at her computer screen.

"Well need not fear Erica I have an idea that is going to bring Lucas out of prison in a months time on his trial because I am tired of waiting and looking at endless amounts of dead end leads, you are running yourself wild doing it now." Max goes to sit down in a chair.

Erica sighs a little bit, her turning her chair to look at Max, her going to cross her legs. "Then give me something good."

"So I was able to get a list of all of the jury members as well as their work addresses I am able to go to. All I need to do is convince at least one to vote in Lucas favor that way they cannot reach a verdict. When that happens the judge will have no choice but to come back to the trial another time." Max explains.

"Okay but how does that help Lucas? That would make him go into prison longer as he waits on another trial date." Erica tells her.

"Ah but no." Max smiles while pointing at her. "Let's say a...certain situation came up to where it just made it completely unsafe for Lucas to stay in prison, and we all know Lucas has some buddies in there keeping an eye out for him. If a order is issued approving house arrest he can wait at home until the next trial date."

Erica slowly nods her head a little bit. "That way we won't have to worry about expediting the trial date to give us time to catch the killer. And he can be here at home as well."

"Exactly." Max points at her.

"Okay, okay yeah that will work." Erica turns back around to face her desk. "That will give me enough time to go back through this. You talk to the jury members and convince at least one then...we'll see what happens at the trial."

"This is going to work Erica. I know it will. I can be real convincing when I want to be." Max stands up and goes to put on her jacket.

"Good." Erica replies.

"Hey can I ask you a question?" Max takes her hair out of her jacket.

"Yeah what is it?"

"Your parents...you and Lucas parents..." Max trails off a little bit. "It's like, they don't seem the least bit affected that Lucas is in prison right now, plus when he got stabbed they...they literally left the hospital without knowing if he was okay or not. What is...." Max trails off a little bit, Erica just looking off to the side a little bit while lightly clenching her jaw. "I'm sorry I'm not trying to pry."

"No it's okay." Erica waves off, her going to stand up and take off her jacket. "It's...complicated but long story short my father expects to much of him and when Lucas doesn't follow things verbatim as he says he gets mad."

"So like high expectation of what he should do and act?"

"Exactly." Erica nods. "And with my mother...she's intimidated by him." Erica shrugs.

"Intimidated? Why?" Max laughs.

"Lucas has a lot of capabilities, and as you can tell he is very smart." Erica says. "That is what lets me know he's going to be okay and he is going to survive, he knows how to get out of sticky situations. He can do it all, businessman, PI, book smart street smart, that intimidates her. Because all she can do is just bitch and complain and say everything is a racial situation."