Paradox

Our story begins in the 50s, where our camera zoomed in on a military base. A general spoke to one of the researchers, inquiring whether or not this experiment would work.

General: Sure this thing is gonna work? Your time machine has cost the U.S Government a pretty penny, doctor. 

The camera would pan over, revealing both the doctor and his work. We could see a large quartz torus with dozens of machines embedded in outer edges. A man stood next to the "portal", working on something using an old computer.

Doctor: The chrono-logger is hardly a time machine in the sense of a vehicle, but rather a subatomic drill designed to bore a tunnel in the fabric of space-time. As to cost, I think the alleviation of untold human suffering throughout history is ample justification, general.

The man would then turn around and walk towards the window where the general watched.

General: It'll also give our red buddies overseas a thing or two to think about. 

And with that he would raise his protective goggles, ready for the demonstration to begin.

Doctor: But to answer your first question, there is only one way to find out.

He too raised his safety goggles, walking towards a console and pulling a lever to power up the machine. The researchers turned around, listening to mechanical whirring as a light began to grow inside the portal. This light would dissipate entirely before forming the full-fledged portal. The doctor's labcoat fluttered towards the portal as he stood directly in front of the machine. Clearly his assistant was the smarter of the two seeing as he still had some doubts about how safe this machine was. And who could blame him when you've bored a tunnel in the fabric of space-time. 

Assistant: You're certain we're safe, doctor?

He turned his head and looked back at his assistant to answer his question. However, he would soon find that the answer wasn't that reassuring. 

Doctor: I'm not certain of anything, Hugo, but the chrono-magnetic field we've generated should protect us.

Keyword being should. If anyone says "We should be safe" that's a sign that you are royally screwed. The portal's strength only increased with each second, having now reached the point where any object that wasn't bolted down was beginning to shake. The assistant, Hugo, approached his mentor, still concerned for his well-being, as he should be.

Hugo: Doctor, I--I'm frightened. 

The doctor would only dismiss his concerns, holding up a brown bag of gumballs and offering Hugo one.

Doctor: Have a gumball. It'll calm your nerves.

You know what's stupid about this, they should be behind the glass too. I mean, why in your right mind would you be actively existing around a fucking hole in space-time? Tangent aside, this doctor brushed off the very real concerns of his assistant while he stared into the portal. We pan over to scanning instruments on the side of the room, each of them reading the same thing. This portal had gotten too strong and needed to be shut down before it was too late. 

All those behind the glass watched on in shock and horror as everything was sucked and stretched into the chrono-logger. The doctor would try to plant his feet, hoping that it would save him from the gravitational pull, but it would prove to be useless. He too was sucked into the chrono-logger, sent through the portal of his own creation. Once he was gone, we get a perspective shift, the camera focused on the people still behind the safety glass as a shadow grew over it.

Once the shadow had stopped growing the creature who made it growled, causing us to cut to the exterior of the building. Even while outside you could see the light of the portal, despite the room having no windows.