Regret and Forgiveness

The day he tells Deku to kill himself he can't sleep.

' Just pray that you'll be born with a quirk in your next life and take a swan dive off the roof of the building'

The words are weighing heavy in his mind and he hates himself for saying them.

Yes, Deku can be annoying and it's so frustrating the way he wants to be a hero because,

1) without a quirk, and most importantly,

2) without actually working for it.

Yes, it was a pain having him constantly glued to him at times. But he didn't want him gone .

He doesn't want Deku to die.

As much as Deku pissed him off, he is Deku. His childhood friend, the one who stood up to him when no one else did. The one who'd stay up all night with Katsuki making up All Might stories and adventures. The one who made sure Katsuki was okay and was always ready to give to and admire him.

So no, he doesn't want the nerd to die. 

He goes over it time and time again and he grows more nauseous thinking about how he's been treating Deku for the past couple of years. No one should have to endure as much shit as he'd put Deku through. It's then, way past 1 am on a school day that he realized how shitty his behaviour was with no real excuse for it.

He quietly stands from his bed and puts on some pants and a jacket, grabs his phone and keys and heads out.

He walks over to the Midoriyas' household and stops at the door. He fidgets with his phone for a few minutes working up the courage to dial his number.

He tells himself that Bakugou Katsuki is not a coward and he is strong enough to face the consequences of his actions. And so he dials Deku's number - which he knew by heart even 2ys later - and presses call.

Long minutes pass with the constant ring. Deku picks up just when he was about to give up.

"...Kacchan?" His voice is extremely quiet and shaky. It doesn't sound like he'd just woken up, however.

Katsuki opens and closes his mouth with no sound coming out. He hears a sigh from the other side of the line. "Is this a prank? Kacchan I'm tired and we have school tomorrow. Is everything okay?"

A few seconds pass with no word from Katsuki. "Okay I'm going to hang up now." Deku says with another sigh.

"Wait!" Katsuki almost yells.

"...Kacchan?"

It's Katsuki's turn to sigh. "Wait please, don't-don't hang up yet."

"I-- Okay."

He is sure Deku is shocked on the other side of the line. Katsuki did not say please. It was foreign even to his own ears.

"Can you come outside? I am at your door." Katsuki says softly and he can hear the rustle of fabric.

"What? Are you okay? Did something happen?" Katsuki wants to roll his eyes - as if he needed Deku's worry - but he can't.

He can't because his chest tightens at the thought that he hasn't screwed up badly enough to erase Deku's caring nature, to erase Deku caring for him.

"Yeah, I'm fine, nerd, just come outside. It's nothing bad, I promise."

"Okay Kacchan." Deku agrees in the same soft tone, but it sounds somehow less tired.

Katsuki hangs up and holds onto the phone for dear life as he waits.

Deku carefully opens the door a minute later and closes it quietly behind him. They stand in front of each other a couple steps apart.