The Predator and the Prey

Royal AU
Wolf Hybrid Bakugou Katsuki
Bunny Hybrid Midoriya Izuku

------------------------

From the moment he was born into the world, Bakugou Katsuki was destined for greatness. He was the leader of the great wolf pack. Top of the food chain. Predator to all and prey to none. King to expansive lands harboring many different creatures. None opposed him, as Katsuki was more fearsome than any of his predecessors. While his father had been a docile leader, Katsuki had grown to be so much stronger. So much better. He was the best and everyone knew it. Even from the time he was a mere pup, people knew to bow to him, avert their eyes, and not do anything in order to get on his bad side.

The other predators dared not to challenge him. Wisely, they feared Katsuki, and in fearing him, most certainly knew when to bite their tongues and mind their words around him. This went doubly for any hybrids beneath him. Katsuki didn’t associate with his prey; he didn’t even want them standing within his presence no matter how quickly they’d bow to him. There was one, however—one dainty, freckle-faced bunny that Katsuki just couldn’t scare away.

With anyone else, it took a single glance and nothing more. To imagine a lesser being not only standing up to him, but smiling at him as if he was the sun shining down on them… it was absurd.

It all began with a single ball—Katsuki’s father’s annual celebration of the bonds he’d formed over his reign. Katsuki didn’t understand back then. His father’s diplomatic relations with neighboring lands, and even if he did come to understand, he still didn’t like it. It forced him to interact with those who didn’t deserve to stand at his side; as his equals no less.

Worst of all was that floppy-eared bunny that always had those ridiculous hearts in his green eyes. Midoriya Izuku was king now, but back when they first met, they were both still growing into the men they’d one day become. Izuku was different though—of course he was, and Katsuki expected no less from someone so beneath him—he was painfully oblivious and laughably carefree. As if he hadn’t a worry in the world, Izuku took everything in stride, and he did so with a smile.

“Wow, a sword!” Izuku cooed excitedly, reaching out to touch the hilt only to have his hand slapped away by Katsuki’s. His floppy ears were long and irritatingly made Katsuki want to touch them every time they bounced with his movements.

“Are you insane, Deku?” Katsuki hissed, baring his little fangs at the bunny. “You don’t go around touching the swords of other men.” Only those with familial bonds or mates had the right to touch one’s sword.

Izuku was dressed in sheer green robes, a hand-woven black belt around his tiny waist. He was slimmer than Katsuki, but back then they were roughly the same height. The bunny should have cowered like all the rest, but he had the brightest and happiest-looking green eyes Katsuki had ever seen—and they were directed at him.

“But you’re not a man, Kacchan!” Izuku giggled, reaching for the sword again only to have Katsuki twist his body to dodge his grabby hands.

“What did you call me?” The wolf prince scoffed in offense to be given a sudden nickname by a lesser breed—a bunny who should have been nothing more than a creature he preyed on. “I’m Prince Bakugou Katsuki!”

And this too-happy bunny was a prince all the same.

“I know that, Kacchan!” Izuku rolled his eyes and ran around and around Katsuki, trying and failing to get his hands on his sword.

“This isn’t a game, stupid Deku!”

“Then why are you smiling?” Izuku snickered, nose suddenly little more than a breath away from Katsuki’s own, making the pup’s ears flop downward in surprise. The proximity as well as Izuku’s words had the smile slipping away from Katsuki’s lips, his carmine eyes opening wide.