Chapter 48 (Faris Bin Waleed)

Note: this is just a REALLY short chapter on amu Faris. We ought to remember Laila's mother is in coma :(

They say people in coma can hear you when you speak to them.
But in Ruba's case Faris did not think it was true.
How could she not wake up when he cried before her? How could she not respond when he told her how much he'd missed her, how much he loved her? He talked to her all day long, about everything he could think off. He told her how he'd felt when he'd seen his Laila again for the first time. About how he'd designed her room himself, how he'd made a kitchen that Ruba would love. All her favorite books and paintings were in his home, if only she'd wake up to see them.
"How deep is your anger Ruba" he murmured, gently pushing strands of hair back from her serene face, "that you won't even open your eyes at least? Habibti please, I swear if I am the reason I will leave now and never tarnish your sight again. Just tell me please"

And still there was nothing.

He bowed his hands into his hands rubbing his eyes.
He wondered if he'd ever see those lashes lift, wondered if he'd ever see that smile he'd yearned for a really long.
The memory of the first time he'd set eyes on Ruba replayed in his mind for the hundredth time...

He had an assignment due, a fifty page paper on the stock market, and was running late. He hadn't changed his clothes since last night, and was dressed in baggy track pants and a crumpled shirt, his hair all over the place and dark shadows under his eyes.
Hurrying up the steps to Management faculty, he almost collided into someone.
"You-" he began angrily, but then he noticed who stood before him.
She matched his height, and because she was a step up she was taller. Her skin was milky white and full red lips were curved in a small smile. Those sharp, beautiful eyes gazed down at him, seeming to look right through him.
"Sorry brother" she replied, handing him his fallen assignment, and with that she pushed past and fluttered down the steps, disappearing in the crowd. He stared after her, completely thrown off guard. He had to know who she was, had to see her again soon. Who knew there was another Muslim in New Forest University?! And such a stunning one at that.

And till today he had the same feeling when he set eyes on her, awestruck, amazed that she was his wife.
"Don't leave me Ruba" he whispered, tears spilling from his eyes, "I will have to come with you"