Chapter 37: Basketball

BRANDON'S POV

"So, Hunter, what's going on with you?" I asked as I opened up my notebook.

"Well, I stopped cutting." He said with a smile.

"That's great!" I exclaimed and he nodded.

"Yeah, but now my mom's making me stop seeing you."

"What?" He nodded.

"She said it's getting too expensive and that I don't need it anymore since I stopped, so this is my last session. But I really do need it, you're the only person I can actually talk to."

"Hmm." I said, tapping my pencil on the notebook. "How about, like once every week, we just hang out and do stuff, you can still talk to me but she won't have to pay."

"That sounds awesome!"

"I'll talk to your mom when she comes to pick you up, all right?"

"Okay!" He said. We continued to talk for the rest of the hour. Soon, his mom showed up and I walked Hunter to my office door.

"Hey, Lisa, I need to talk to you." I said, leaning in the doorway. She pulled out her keys and handed them to Hunter.

"Go start the car." She said and he nodded, walking away. I let her in and leaned against my desk.

"Sit down if you want, this will only take a second." She sat down in a chair and looked up at me. "So, Hunter told me that this was his last session." She nodded.

"I'm sorry Brandon, it's just getting way too expensive, I know Hunter really likes you but, he's been doing better with his depression so I figured he doesn't need it anymore."

"Well, sadly, I can't give you a discount or even make these sessions free. But Hunter confessed to me that he feels like he still needs these sessions. So, I came up with the idea that like, once a week, I could go and pick him up and we can just hang out. It'd be completley free and everything." She just looked up at me. "Look, I know how depression is. I dealt with depression at Hunter's age too, trust me, he still needs someone to tell his problems to. I promise if you pull him out he'll just slip back into depression."

"Brandon, I don't kn-"

"Just give it one time, see how Hunter likes it."

"Okay." She sighed.

"Great! Is he doing anything later this week?" She shook her head. I reached back and grabbed my planner, searching through my calendar. "What's the best day for you?" She shrugged.

"Tomorrow?"

 "Ahh, I can't do it tomorrow, my wife and I have a doctor's appointment, Saturday?"

"Sounds good."

"Okay, just give me your address and I'll come over at...one?" She nodded and gave me their address. "Okay, let me walk you out." I said, going to open my door.

"So, wait, your wife and you have an appointment?" She asked as we walked down the hall, I just snickered.

"Technically, it's her appointment, I just go along. She's pregnant so." I said with a shrug and a smile.

"Awwh, really?" I nodded.

"Yup, our first."

"That's great! Congratulations! Do you know what it is?"

"A little girl, Camryn Jenna."

"That's cute, how far?"

"Thanks, I named her, and we're coming up on seven months here soon."