Chapter 23 - 19th July 2013 Explanations

*Emma's pov*

I lay there for what felt like days, but really it was only three hours. I tried my hardest but could not sleep at all, there were too many things running through my head. I had my back to Jess and she had wrapped her arms around my waist, it made me feel safe so I didn't move her off me. I felt that because I was in her arms, no one could touch me. I did feel more awake than I ever had been before and I was getting bored. I could feel Jess' heavy breathing on my back giving me shivers. I carefully wriggled out of her grasp and pulled my hoodie on.

"Where you going?" I heard a sleepy voice from under the duvet

"Sorry if I woke you. I was going to go for a walk. Go back to sleep if you want." I apologised

"But it's half past five in the morning." She grumbled.

"I know and that's why you can go back to sleep." I replied

"I'm going to come with you... If you want." Jess said as she jumped out of bed with masses of energy. I don't get how she has so much of it, I think I need some.

"Okay, It's about an hour long walk and I'm going to stop by my house to get some stuff on the way too." I told her

"Brilliant." She said as she pulled her hoodie on.

Jess wrote Holly a note just incase she woke up and found us not there. We walked along the main road and then down the hill hand in hand in a comfortable silence just enjoying each others company. It wasn't until we got to the bottom of the hill and on the corner of my old street that I started talking.

"I used to live down here. Number twelve, before everything went bad." I told Jess

"Why did things start going bad?" Jess asked

"Well, it was after I lost both of my grandfathers in the space of two months. My parents ju-"

"Awww Emma's got a girlfriend!" I was cut off and Jess tensed. I knew that voice from anywhere and couldn't help but smile.

"Jess, it's fine it's just Caroline, she was there for me when no one else was. She works nights at the Gwent." I turned to Caroline and let go of Jess' hand so I could hug her.

"Em, how are you? I haven't seen you for ages. It looks like you've done well." Caroline added pointing to Jess

"I'm great thanks! I would have visited but things came up." I apologised, "And Jess isn't my girlfriend, we're just friends." I added

"Yeah right, that's what you said about Harrison." I felt the pain in my heart as she said his name, but it doesn't hurt like it used to, it's easier to handle now. "Sorry Em. Hi Jess, I'm Caroline, nice to meet you." Caroline said offering a hand for Jess to shake, Jess just smiled and dismissed Caroline's hand.

"Nice to meet you too and thank you." Jess said as she pulled Caroline into a hug

"Why are you thanking me though?" Caroline laughed

"Jess does that. A lot. And she apologises too much." I mumbled but she just ignored me

"Thank you for being there for Emma when I wasn't able to be there. I'm guessing you'll know about what happened three and a half years ago and I can't thank you enough for helping her." I blushed, Caroline was literally the only other person who knew and she knew that.

"I wasn't the only one who helped, I might have payed for her counseling but that was the smaller thing that got her through it. How long have you known Emma?" Caroline asked

"Well, we've known each other properly for a day and a bit, but we've just found out we go back a bit longer than that. What was this other thing that got her through it?" I knew what it was. It was Jess and The Script... But mainly Jess, not that she knows it.