Chapter 49 - Conquer The World Part 2

*Jessie's pov*

Emma came out with her appropriate adult and DCI Blakeman who told us that we were okay to leave and that Muriel was going to be taken back home. As soon as Emma was by my side she took hold of my hand. I often wonder whether she feels what I feel whenever we touch but now isn't really the time to ask. "Mr Blakeman. I was just wondering how you knew my name?" I asked even though I was pretty sure of the answer. I mean a woman with shaved blonde hair isn't something you come across everyday now is it?

"Oh.... Well my son is a massive fan... Heartbeats are they called?"

"Yeah, my heartbeats rock." I smiled before turning serious. "I would appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone I was here. There is a lot the public don't know about this whole case as it is and I don't really want them finding out without it being on my own terms." I explained.

"Of course ma'am. It's completely confidential."

"Thank you." I smiled and pulled Emma out of the station.

Jackson was snoozing lazily on the front seat but obviously when I opened the door he woke up and started barking. I sighed and picked him up so Emma could sit down. I turned around to face Emma but she wasn't there. I looked down and she had slid down the side of the car and pulled herself into a ball and started crying. I wrapped Jackson's lead around my hand and placed him on floor. I scooped up Emma and sat her on the seat but before she could curl up into a ball I placed Jackson on her lap. A small smile formed on her lips which made a full smile appear on mine. I'm getting somewhere with her.

-------------------------

Three hours later and the roads were becoming more recognisable. Emma and I hadn't spoken at all on the way down here. She just sat there absentmindedly staring into space and stroking Jackson. She reminded me of a robot actually with no emotions. Jackson had snuggled right into Emma. They're going to get along perfectly. I can tell. Emma fell asleep about an hour and a half into the journey so I had Alive quietly playing in the background. I know Alive is my own album but I've got to get used to the songs.

Holly's car was parked outside my house. I smiled knowing I was going to see her in a few minutes. I parked the car on the driveway and looked over to Emma. She was out for the count bless her. I got out of my side of the car and walked around to Emma's. The familiar sound of the gravel crunching beneath my feet made me smile even more. As soon as I opened the door, Jackson ran out and stuck his head through the cat flap in the front door. I chucked as I picked Emma up. She woke up groggily and her eyes automatically glazed over. I hugged her tight to me as fresh tears fell out of her eyes. You would have thought that there would be no moisture left in her body with the total amount that she's cried over the last four days. I closed the door behind me with my foot as quietly as I could as Emma had fallen asleep again. This must be exhausting.

"JESSICAAAAAAA!" I heard Holly scream from somewhere in the house. "I've missed you soo much!"

"Babe!" I whined to signal to her to be quiet. "I missed you too but let me just put Emma to bed." I whispered. Holly looked at me apologetically and followed me to my room.

I placed Emma under the blankets of my memory foam king size bed and lightly kissed her head. I figured she was wearing comfy enough clothes so I didn't have to change her. I turned the light off and left the door open ajar so I could hear if she woke up.

Holly and I plonked ourselves down on the puffy recliner sofa. Holly sitting on the right whilst I sat on the left in our usual places. "So babe, what happened?" Holy asked. I sighed before I started. Holly chose Michael Jackson and the album Bad to play for background noise.