Chapter 68 - Is She Alive?

*Emma's pov*

I dropped my phone onto the hard bathroom floor and picked up Jackson out of the way as he was nudging his head against his owner's own floppy head. I placed two fingers just under her jaw to check for a pulse. There was a faint one. A very faint, very irregular one. Her irregular heart beat really won't help with all of the blood she's lost. I need to stop the bleeding, but she was bleeding from everywhere, literally everywhere. She'd slashed through her clothes, but more importantly, she'd slashed through her now crimson red skin, that used to be a pearly white colour. I fumbled about in the pool around the two of us for my phone and dialed 999. I ended the call and noticed my shattered screen but I felt no emotion towards it. I stroked the hair out of Jess' face and sang to her softly in hope that if she could hear me she was being calmed by it. I looked over her body, down her arms where the majority of the cuts are, and ironically she'd used a letter opener as her tool of choice. I took it away from her loose grip, in fear she'd somehow wake up and try to do it again. and put it down by my side. I checked her pulse once more. It was weaker and more irregular than it was before. It was like her heart was giving up. It was only then that I realised she wasn't breathing. How stupid could I be? I moved her gently so I could perform CPR but I heard the ambulance sirens. I got up quickly and sprinted out of the room, that caused me to slip and bang my head I the door frame, but I didn't feel pain. I couldn't feel anything, so I got back up on my feet and took more caution running down the stairs.

What happened next was a blur. The paramedics followed me upstairs and muttered something about the amount of blood. They asked about any medical conditions and I told them about her heart. The woman sat me down on the edge of the bath and tried speaking to me but I was more bothered about what the guy was doing to Jess. "She's in safe and now, we'll do every thing we can to save her." I remember the woman speaking to me. The next thing I remember was arriving at the hospital. They'd attached Jess to a ventilator that was helping her to breathe. I followed them to a set of swinging doors until a hand was pressed to my chest. "I'm sorry, love, you can't go in there." I looked up to who was speaking to me. A young nurse with curly ginger hair and a smile.

"But I need to be with Jess." I tried to explain.

"Jess is in safe hands now, they're going to do everything they can for her." She smiled sympathetically.

"But I-"

"Let's get you cleaned up ay? My name's Robin, come with me." She held her hand out for me to take but I looked down at my own blood smeared hands and just followed her.

"I bet I look a mess." I muttered suddenly remembering that I've been wiping my eyes with my hands. Robin just smiled a little.

"How did you do that?" she asked indicating to the top of my head. I felt around the top of my head and winced in pain.

"Errrm... It could have been when I slipped over and banged my head on the door frame." I tried thinking back but it hurt too much to do that.

"Okay. This may sting a little." She warned me as she started cleaning the cut on my forehead.

Ten minutes later we decided that I didn't need any stitches and that the cut on my head would heal by itself in time. "We're all done here now." Robin smiled inspecting my head once more.

"Thank you." I would have smiled, but I couldn't. "Can you find out how Jess is doing please?" Robin nodded and walked off towards where Jess was.

Not long after, the doctor that was looking after Jess escorted me to the relatives room. He sat down on a chair opposite to the one that I was sitting on. "Can I ask who you are to Miss Cornish?" He asked with a gentle voice.