Chapter 55 - Three Months After

*Emma's pov*

I woke up again when I was being carried into a house by a man. This made me feel uncomfortable but I was concentrating on getting my breathing sorted. I haven't opened my eyes yet, I can tell it's a man by the size of his hands and the smell of his aftershave. I didn't want to open my eyes. I didn't know where I was or what I was doing.

"Should we call an ambulance?" I heard a familiar, gorgeous Essex accent ringing through my ears and that's when I remembered. I was meeting Jess' parents. My eyes shot open as I searched the room for where her voice came from. I'd been laid down on the sofa and Jess was sat by my side brushing the hair out of my face. It took my eyes a while to focus on her perfect features. Her sparkling emerald eyes shining as she realised I was awake.

"She started breathing just before we got in. I think she's going to be fine." I don't know how I'd heard that because by this point I had connected my eyes to Jess' and I'd got completely lost in them. I watched as the worry grew smaller in them but never completely disappeared.

"I'm fine. Honestly." I spoke as I tried to sit up. "Thank you for bringing me in here." I aimed a smile at Jess' parents and looked over at Jess. Her eyebrows were knitted together and was clearly analysing what I'd just said.

"I don't know. We should go and get you checked out." Jess' voice was thick with concern. I loved how she was so caring.

"Honestly now Jess, I feel like nothing ever happened." I lied. The pain was still in my chest but I'd just about sorted out my breathing and I didn't feel dizzy any more.

"But babe-" Jess started.

"Did you just call me butt babe?" I asked to lighten the mood.

"Babe please. I'm trying to be serious here. You know how hard that is for me." She whined.

"Jess, if Emma says she's fine, she's fine. Just keep an eye on her. And Emma." I nodded to let Jess' mum know I was listening. Not the best idea by me in a while. "Just take it easy okay?"

"I will. Thank you Mrs. Cornish, Mr. Cornish." I smiled at them to show that I meant it.

"I said earlier, call me Rose and him Steve. We're definitely not the formal type of family." Rose replied.

"Thank you Rose." I thanked. I'm not really sure why. It just seemed right. Like they've already accepted me into the family.

"I'm going out to check on the kids, Hannah and Rachel will be here around fiveish." Rose called as she walked through to a different room.

"I think you should tell dad about your dream now." Jess told me in front of Steve so I couldn't exactly say no. To be honest with you, I'd forgotten about the dream up until now.

"It wasn't a dream though. It happened in real life, I'd just forgotten about it. I don't know how because it made me confident. It taught me all guys aren't like Karl." Steve flinched at his name. It's obvious they don't talk about it. I watched as the anger built up in Steve. "Sorry." I mumbled.

"There's no need to apologise, just don't mention him on front of Rose. She's a bit fragile about it still." Steve explained.

"That's understandable." I said to assure him I knew where he was coming from.

"So you're having flashbacks in your sleep?" Jess asked.

"It's only because I was coming here." I told them both as they both looked at me with a confused expression over their faces. "The man and woman I was telling you about. They were Rose and Steve."

"Wait... What?" Steve asked even more confused.

"Three months after that Christmas you were in Essex right? You live in Essex.... You know what I mean though? The town centre." Steve nodded. I just shook my head. I've never been any good at explaining things. "And you were at the psychiatrist's in the lift with a girl, the age of thirteen, but the lift broke down and she panicked. She thought that it would happen to her. The same thing that happened to the person she walked in on Christmas day. She thought that it was the perfect opportunity for him to just do it. I hadn't stayed in a room with a man, not even my dad on my own. I always left, until the lift. I don't know about you Jess but the psychiatrist never helped, it was Steve. He took the time with me, he taught me that you can trust guys, that they're not all bad." I smiled towards Steve. "I'm so grateful the lift broke down. I hated it at the time but I'm glad because I wouldn't have met you and Rose." I said turning to Steve, "Well I would have done because I'm here now. But maybe I wouldn't have. Maybe, just maybe, if that lift hadn't broken down, I'd still be the broking bit of mess that I was back then. Thank you."