Chapter 37 - The Gig

*Jessie's pov*

I told Emma and Charlotte that I was going to find Louise. I wanted to make sure she was okay before going on stage. I still remember my first ever performance as a solo artist, I don't think I've been as nervous since, although I have come close. I spotted her adjusting the mic stand. "Louise!"

"Hi Jess." She half smiled. I walked over to her and engulfed her in a hug.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her.

"I'm scared Jess. I'm not gonna lie." She pulled away and made direct eye contact with the floor.

"Louise, It's okay to be scared. It's expected of you to be nervous. You're only human." She was still looking at the floor. I lifted her head up gently by putting my finger under her chin and a tear rolled down her cheek. I gently wiped it away. "Listen to me now. You are amazing and you should know how honest I am. I swear your voice is purer than most of the people's voices I was at brit school with." Her eyes snapped up to mine and I smiled. "Honestly."

"It's just. I'm lucky to be here at all and... If I mess this up, I won't just have let myself down, but I would have let the others down too." She tried looking at the floor again but I kept a firm grip on her chin.

"That's the thing. Don't focus on the the 'what ifs', focus on the present. Focus on what's happening now. It's hard work, but this way of life is worth living, and nothing is more important than living your dreams and you are going to get there one day. I promise." She still didn't look convinced, "Okay, so there's a small chance that you're gonna mess up, but so what if you do? If you do, just carry on as if noithing's happened, most of the time the audience don't even notice it." I smiled my toothy grin that apparently, I've become quite known for.

"Thanks Jess, I don't know where I'd be without you... Well actually I do but I don't want to think about that." She half smiled, "Thank you."

"Hey guys, what you chatting about?" Ethan asked.

"Just the performance." Louise replied.

"You're gonna smash it." I told them.

"I can't thank you enough for being here Jess. You mean so much to all of us." Ethan thanked.

"I can't thank you enough for supporting me. I'd be no where without you and the rest of the heartbeat family. As long as you're there for me, I'll be there for you." I answered truthfully

"Thanks Jess. It really does mean a lot, you being here. It also allows us to bite back at the directioners. Long story and I don't have time to explain it." Ethan told us

"Just don't be too mean to them okay? It's not only heartbeats that buy my music." I joked, "The boys from One Direction are really nice guys actually." I acknowledged.

We small talked for a bit with different members of the band popping in and out of the conversation every now and again. Eventually I had to go back to my seat as the concert was starting soon.

Emma looked upset and... hurt? I asked if anything had happened when I had been gone, she said no so she was probably just in pain, I know what it's like to have an unusable foot, and to say its a pain in the backside is an understatement.

The group walked on to the stage together and introduced themselves. They were really nervous, you could hear their voices shaking. At least they were smiling. They started off by singing one of their own songs. Louise looked over to me as the music started. I nodded and smiled to try and reassure her. I hope it helped. If it didn't, she clearly didn't need it. Her voice was gentle but powerful at the same time with a need to be heard. My eyes closed so I could really sink into the music. The song was mainly acoustic but there was a small melody on keys and a beat on a symbol. I opened my eyes as the music stopped and couldn't help the smile that spread across my face as we all started clapping and cheering.