Chapter 74 - You Gotta Get Up and Try, Try, Try

*Emma's pov*

I turned around and walked away swiftly, fighting the tears that were threatening to fall. "Turn around and go back." I heard a familiar voice commanding me. It didn't sound like the voice in my head though. I ignored it and carried on walking. I felt a cold sort of hand print on my shoulder that eventually spread through my body and left again as I walked on. "Ems. I'm being serious. Turn around and get back in there." No. It couldn't be. Could it?

"Clair?" I asked uncertain if it was her. I mean, it is impossible.

"Turn around." She demanded and slowly, very slowly, I turned around. I gasped at the sight before my eyes. Clair was standing rather nervously next to the doors of Jessie's room. I must be seeing and hearing things. Her slim figure was translucent. If you focused on one part if her body, the rest would go out of focused. Her body was shimmering with a ghostly air.

"I'm not a part of your imagination." She spoke as though she could read my mind. "Do remember that dream when I came to get you and drove you home?" I nodded. "What I said there is all true. I died. I can talk to you. I'm like your guardian angel I guess."

"But that's not possible." I muttered in disbelief.

"Well you better believe it because it's real and it's happening." She spoke sternly.

"No, no, no, no." I shook my head in disbelief trying to find a reasonable explanation. "I- I haven't had much sleep recently. I'm tired. I... I'm seeing things." I stuttered, turned on my heal and continued down the corridor.

"Ems, I understand it's a lot to take in. I understand why you're scared and in disbelief. It's compli- Danny?" I turned around again to see Clair reaching her trembling hand out to him as he walked straight through her. Her eyes were glistening even more than they were already. A streak of white light slipped down her cheek a ghostly tear dropped from her eye.

"Dan? What's wrong?" I asked stupidly.

"Everything. Everything in my whole fucking life." He replied as he brushed past me down the corridor.

"Dan, c'mon, speak to me." I spun around and grabbed his wrist to stop him walking. "I want to help."

"How can you fucking help? You should go away otherwise you'll end up like the rest of them." He snapped back.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked curiously. I didn't know what he meant by 'You'll end up like the rest of them.' It just confused me.

"Don't worry." He yanked his hand away and continued walking off.

"Danny wait!" I heard Clair shout from behind me. Her voice cracking as she called after him. I looked into her eyes and saw the sadness and regret take over. "Please Ems, please go after him. He trusts you. He listens to you." Clair begged me, falling to the floor as a nurse ran straight through her. I couldn't not leave Danny the way he was, even if Clair was still alive. Even if my mind wasn't deciding to show her to me... I need to sort my head out.

I dodged everyone and followed Danny out of the entrance of the hospital to be stopped by a wall of bright flashes. I quickly searched for Danny as my vision became more and more spotted and dragged him inside to the relatives room. "Paps. The fucking paps. Someone's told them. Someone's sold our story." Dan grumbled.

"Dan, don't worry about it. We'll get through it. We can sort them out don't worry." I hugged him tightly as he started weeping.

"I just wanna be away from here. Away from all of this shit." He sobbed into my shoulder.

"How about I go buy us a coffee and see about us going home so we can finally relax a little?" I felt Danny nod so I pulled away. "You stay here then and I'll go. I'll be ten minutes max." I looked back at Danny as I was about to close the door behind me. I could see how vulnerable and broken he was. I know I'm hurting, it feels like I've lost Jess, but Danny has actually lost the one that he loves forever. He's going to be hurting more. That's the reason I'm going to do whatever I can to help him.