Seventy-Three

Time reception is supposed to start: 3:30
Current Time: 3:45

This kid refuses to talk. I mean seriously. He was already in trouble from when him and his "friends" hijacked last week's wedding near here, so what's the point of keeping quiet? They'll get caught either way.

I hope.

They had interviewed Ross for what kids looked like and actually got some names. They're all dumb Seniors. All ready for college. And they just threw their lives away for prison life.

Damn shame.

I was talking with Ross about what was going on with another officer when the Sheriff came out, claiming that the kid wanted to talk to me.

I hesitantly got up and went into the room, a deputy standing inside with the 17-year old.

I folded my arms. "So. You wanted to see me?"

He didn't say anything or look up.

I don't have time for this. "Look, either you open your filthy ass mouth or I'm walking out. I have to find my husband."

He still didn't say anything.

I sighed and started for the door.

"You wouldn't understand if I told you." He says with a shaky voice.

I stopped. "Told me what?"

"Why we're doing this."

I turn to face him. "Highschool prank, huh?"

"You don't get it. There's more than you think there is."

"You want to know what I see? I see a bunch of idiot teenagers who think they can get away with whatever they want. You are of no use to me, except for telling me where you took the groom."

He looked down again.

"What's your name, kid?"

He was quiet for a second. "Donovan."

"Alright, Donovan. I know you aren't working alone. So whose idea was this?"

He didn't say anything.

"Come on, kid. The longer you keep quiet, the more trouble you get into."

Still nothing.

"I mean, I can call your parents. Won't matter to me."

He immediately shot up. "It was Carson's idea, alright?"

There we are. "Who's Carson?"

Donovan sat back down. "An early graduate. He got out of school early a couple months ago."

"So, he randomly called you up and said, 'Hey let's kidnap groom's the day of their wedding?'"

"N-No. When he was in school he had always talked down to the other girls about how they should be at home cooking and cleaning like they were made to be. He's always had this idea that they weren't worth anything all through high school."

"So he decided to ruin their weddings?"

"I guess. What he told us was that women should've been in an arranged marriage like before."

"That's never been a thing in this country."

"Tell that to him. I've heard his dad say this stuff too."

I rub my forehead. "So, where do I find my husband then?"

Rip headphone users