7 (Collage) [Year: 2002]

I carried the box to the old car that Jr. had bought with the money he'd earned working for "Lazy" Susan. "That's the last of it right?"

"Yeah, Mom." He set the last box in his trunk. "Thanks for helping me."

"Of course! It's not everyday I send my baby off to the collage dorms! And to West Coast Tech no less!" I smiled. Jr. looked exactly like his father now, minus the sixth finger, and had definitely gotten his brains. I kissed his forehead. "You remember to send pictures and call at least once a week."

"Of course mom..." He cleared his throat. "Twice on Christmas and not at all on New Year's. Come back here for summer break but spend the others wherever I wish except here. I know."

"You grew up too fast, Jr."

"Mom... I go by Ford now. You know this..."

"Hey I began calling my cousin 'KK' when I was 5 and I still do even though she goes by 'Mac' now. You will always be Jr. to me. You got that?"

"Yes, momma."

"Come here." I wrapped the boy in a large hug. "I love you and I would do anything for you."

He wrapped his arms around me. "I love you too..." I started crying. There was a long pause before he cleared his throat. "You can let go now."

"No..." I slid my hands down his arms and held him at arm's length. "No, I can't let you go. Ever." I smiled and wiped away my tears. "But it is time to loosen the lead." I kissed him again. "Now go. Make new friends, find love, learn lots... Have some fun."

Stan joined us. "Good luck at collage."

"Thanks, Dad." Jr. hugged Stan. "I love you."

"Yeah... huh... Love you too, kid." He patted his back. "Now get outta here. You got collage to get to."

He hugged us both at one time. "Thank you for always being there for me. I love you." He let us go and got into his car. "Time to go... I'll call you from the dorm room." Jr. started the car. "Bye!" He waved out the window as he drove away.

I sighed as Stan put his arm around my shoulders. "Now what?"

"Now, we bring Ford back from the portal." I turned and went back inside, Stan following. "I'll work on it during the day and you join me at night. So far as anyone besides Jr. cares to know, we're separated pending divorce. Don't worry, though. I won't actually file. I'm not going to take half of everything you own... You don't own enough... You can date whoever you want." I made sure the Mystery Shack's gift shop was empty before typing in the code to the lab.