56 (That Dream)

"I've been meaning to ask you..." Ford stood awkwardly beside the TV, not daring to come between me and my movie, as boring as it was. "What did Bill offer you?"

I sat for a second wondering if I should tell him.

Flashback

I sat in my room confused at the lack of color.

"Hey there, Diamond."

"Diamond...?" I looked around.

Bill was floating towards the ceiling. "Yes, I mean you."

"Bill... Really? Again?!" I dropped myself on the bed but suddenly I was falling forward from the ceiling. I caught myself in push up position. "What do you want now?"

"Relax." Bill waved me off. "No need to get short again. I actually came to warn you, since you forced me out last time."

"Warn me?" I scoffed. "You're a demon. The only thing I need warning against is you." I pushed myself back to standing.

"There will come a time in your future when everything you know will change. It will start with those closest to you and spiral out. I like seeing you punny human puppets try to change the future. You end up causing it so often."

"'Change; Said the sun to the moon; You cannot stay; Change; Says the moon to the waters; All is flowing'. 'Change' by Kathleen Jessie Raine."

"'Petals fade; That wings may rise; Borne on the wind; You are changing; said death to the maiden, your wan face; To memory, to beauty; Are you ready to change?; Says the thought to the heart, to let her pass; All your life long'. 'Change' by Kathleen Jessie Raine."

"You know it?" I eyed Bill.

"I know everything." Bill's eye flashed through thousands of things in mere seconds.

"So... what in my life will change?"

"Everything." Bill floated leisurely in the air.

"Such a vague answer..." I taunted. "Maybe you really don't know."

"Let's make a deal. If I tell you what I know I control your body for 10 minutes."

I scoffed. "Same deal; same answer. No."

"You drive a hard bargain." Bill pretended to think for a second. He snapped and put his blue flame-lit hand out to me. "I can make do with 5 minutes. Final offer."

"No. In those 5 minutes you could destroy the entire Earth." I turned away. "Never will I let you into my mind."

"Suit yourself. Just remember. Everything is going to change Diamond. Everything." Bill lit up like a light bulb. In his eye flashed images of my family, quickly fading to black as everything else did too.

End flashback

A commercial came on TV as I spoke. "He offered me information in exchange for five minutes use as a living puppet."