Joey Logano

Heyoooo, I've gotten an influx of requests, so I'm trying haha. I have a new  project getting ready to be posted soon, so that's taking a lot of work, and I have two side projects (granted, one is almost finished....) But I'm sorta living for it. This is for , so I hope you enjoy!! Thanks for the lovely request, and sorry for mistakes <3

~~~

There are those historic crashes everywhere. For example, the historic plane crash of the Fairchild 571, that Uruguayan Rugby team that crashed in the Andes Mountains. The group of mere teenagers forced to survive with no food, no water, and in subzero temperatures for an extended period of time before they were forced to walk out. Yes, walk out. 

Then there are train crashes. Boat crashes. Bike crashes--those most have experienced at a very young age when one gets eager to be able to learn. But in racing, they're more generalized. There are famous IndyCar crashes, Xfinity crashes, and cup crashes. Some argue the crashes are safer... but are there really safe crashes? Does anybody really walk away unscathed?

Truly, no. Either they're haunted by deadly images of it, physically scarred, or they walk away with a destroyed car and a DNA. Which, for any racer, is a bad day. 

Adriana had never thought about this before the crash. Watching that red and yellow car violently smashes into another, flames erupt and the car rise and smack back off the pavement in a wild manner. Squeals of tires, crashes of metal bashing metal, the squeaking of steel scratch steel. Smells of burning rubber and burnt gas mixing with the sight took away from the enjoyment of the race itself.

The screams and cries from the fans diminished and a deathly silence swept over the track that normally buzzed with life. Adriana's biggest fears had become reality. Paramedics raced to the stilled cars while she darted down from the pit box and ran to the medical center. Tears brimmed her eyes, her hair flew over her shoulders as the sole of her sneakers clapped the pavement beneath them with every rushed step. 

Her heart raced as she apologized with a shaky voice to those she accidentally crashed into. She got there before he did, her whole body coming to a halt outside of the infield care center. She awaited the doors to burst open and all the RN's and doctors rushing to his aid.

Oh, she couldn't lose him. His family, their family. Nobody could lose him. The sport, the fans, her. She swallowed thickly as the paramedics burst through in a frantic, things seemingly going slow motion. She covered her mouth as she watched them wheel him into a room, the mini-hospital like room seemingly shrinking. "Joey," She choked out and walked forward only to be pushed back. "Joey!" She cried out, tears finally falling as a strangled sob escaped her lips. She was told to wait outside, but she couldn't move. She could no longer see him through all the bodies, but suddenly the doctor burst through the crowd. 

"We're transporting him. Go." He ordered, pointing to the ambulance I the back. She hesitated before following after him to the ambulance, being shoved inside just as they lifted the sstretcher up and in. Her throat nearly closed at the sight of Joey, his limp body wobbling with every jolt of the vehicle. 

Thinking about not being able to be with him for the rest of her life was a tantalizing thought. Not seeing his smile for the rest of her pitiful life without him seemed horrid. Not seeing him, being with him, hugging him, loving him... It was devasting and the tears falling from her eyes and her sobs grew more. Her erratic breathing became more labored and before she could restrain herself, her hand was grasping his as the paramedic adjusted a few medical appliances.

Adriana's heart-wrenching cries were muffled as she lowered her head, her hair framing her face as she resisted the urge to scream out. He would be okay. He will be okay.

~~~

Standing outside looking into the small hospital room Joey was kept was even worse, especially when nurses and doctors would rush inside momentarily, shut the blinds, then exit another 20 minutes later. That only happened twice, but it was still scary. Joey's family had come and waited with her. The Logano's supported her, comforted her as best as they could, but the cold hard reality was nobody knew what was going to happen.

Joey was in limbo, could go either way. She could lose him or be granted ten more years. That was what made her sob the most. It was such a devasting scenario. 

Adriana slowly lowered herself into a plush chair beside Joey's mom and silently whispered to herself. "He will pull through." She reiterated this until she believed it. That was when the doctor ran out of Joey's room, wide-eyed with a crooked look on his aged face.

"Mr. and Mrs. Logano? Adriana..." He smiled softly. "He's awake." 

She'd never ran so fast.