forty

~Emma's POV~

I pull up in front of Robin's house. Munchkin wanted to visit her brother Roland so that's mainly why she's here.

I call munchkin and tell her to come outside. When she got in the car she started crying. She wouldn't tell way. All she said was Marian. That's Robin's wife. I park the car and tell her to wait there.

I get out and go to the front door. "Hello Emma." Robin says being polite.

"Can I speak to you and your wife for a moment?"

"Yeah sure. Come in." He says moving to the side. He calls Marian into the room and we sit at the table. "So what is it you wanted to talk about?"

I really just wanna slap the both of them right across the face. "Danielle."

"What about her?"

"Let me start off with a story. It's quick and it won't take long." He nods his head, so I continue. "When I first met Danielle, she was four years old and the sweetest person. She still is. She's always been giving and great with her siblings. She even came here to hang out with her little brother."

"That sounds like Danielle." He says.

"So it makes me ask the question of who would ever want to make her cry, right?"

"Yes." He says. Marian is silent, which makes me think that she knows something.

"Marian you've been quiet. Can you tell me why Danielle would ever need to cry?"

"No I can think of a reason as why she would cry." She says looking at the table.

"Then tell me why she's in the car crying and saying that you're the cause of it?!"

"What?" Robin says.

"What did you say to my little girl?" I'm growing impatient and angry. I'm pissed.

"Marian what did you say?" Robin says looking at her.

"What the hell did you say?!" I ask.

"I didn't say anything that wasn't true." She says in a sassy voice.

"I'm not going to ask again, Marian."

"That you and her family of freaks shouldn't be here. And that her mother is a whore and she's a slut." She spits with hate. "That's what I said."

I just sit back in the chair and stay silent. I'm thinking about what I should do. I look at the two of them and just shake my head.

"Emma I'm sor–" Robin starts, but I stop him.

"Thank you for inviting me into your home, but I don't think Danielle or myself will be returning." I say standing up and pushing my chair in. "Marian I'm really sorry that you feel that way. Hopefully one day you'll see how you ruined the relationship between Danielle and Robin, Danielle and Roland, and any other relationships you have with my family. I know that you're coming from a place of hurt and the only way for you to feel some kind of power is to be a bully. I am Danielle's mother and I damn well down appreciate you call her a slut. And you know what Marian all I'm going to say is that it takes one to know one."

"Our you calling me a slut."

"If it walk and talks like one it probably is one." I say with a raised eyebrow.

She stands up and says, "how dare you disrespect me in my own home?"

"Robin please open the door." He walks over to the door as opens it. I start walking because I'm leaving.

"Hey I asked you a question! Answer me you freak!" That's when I lost it. I turned around and there she was still yelling.

"Watch your mouth Marian. You're on thin ice. All you have to do is stop talking and nothing bad will happen." She doesn't get the shiny obvious hint dangling in her face.