forty-eight

This is gonna be a long ass chapter, plus it's not even close to done yet. The whole chapter is a flashback. Enjoy reading. Please excuse my mistakes.

~~~~C.R.Welsh

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

-flashback-

~Regina's POV~

It's the middle of the night and I feel a tiny hand on my leg. I sit up and turn light on. It's my second baby boy, Mateó.

"Mamá." He says. He's one years old. I he's sitting in the middle of the bed.

"What's wrong bebé?" I ask in Spanish.

"Ma." He calls Emma Ma as in the ending of her name. He picked it up from me.

"She's not here bebé. She's at work. She'll be back soon." The clock lets me know that it's late. Emma should be home by now. I hear the front door open and close. Emma walks into the room. "See bebé. She's right there."

Emma takes off her holster. "Hi Gina. Hi Mateó."

"Hi Emma."

"Ma." Mateó says pointing to Emma and looking at me.

"Yes that's Mommy." Emma locks up her gun in the special safe. "How was work papi?"

"Hard, busy and boring." She groans. "Long." She takes off her shoe and clothes. She walks into the bathroom and turns on the shower. "How was your day?"

"Good. We had a meeting at the school and that was okay."

"That's good. I'm gonna take a quick shower." She kisses me and then Mateó.

"Ma." He says reaching out to her. Emma picks him up off the bed.

"Hi Buddy. I missed you."

"Ma."

"Can you say mommy?"

"Ma." He repeats.

"Everyday is a step closer."

"Ma." Mateó claps and smiles. She puts him back on the bed and he's not having it. He starts to whine and throw a baby tantrum that leads to tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Mateó I'll be right back. Mommy has to shower." She coos. I pull him on to my lap and he's not having that either. "Gina I'll be back." She walks in the direction of the bathroom. Mateó crawls off my lap and closer to Emma's side of the bed. He knows how to get down and that's exactly what he's doing.

I just watch because it's so fascinating to see how smart he is. He took one of Emma's pillows and pushed it over the edge of the bed. He turns and faces me as he uses the blanket to slide off the bed. He does it successfully and does his best to put the pillow back, but it just ends up falling back down. He's whimpering and looking for Emma. He walks around back to my side. He starts crying, but it's not loud, just tears. He walks around and when he finds the door of the bathroom he hits it and looks back at me.

"Mateó what are you up to?" I ask. He pushes the door open and enters. I huff and try to decide if I wanna get up and go get him.

~Emma's POV~

Next thing I know is that I'm not alone in the bathroom. I see a little hand on the glass of the shower. It belongs to Mateó. He really did miss me all day. I open the door and step out. He smiles and I pick him up. I need to wash the soap off of my body still and he's crying for me. I make the decision to bring him with me. I take off his clothes and get back in the shower.