sixty-one

~Regina's POV~

"Who said you had to cut your hair?" I ask.

"I got a note home from my teacher. It's from the new principal. They're tryna make me cut my hair." He cries.

"Let me see the note." Emma says. He hands Emma the note. "Dear parents, as the new principal, I have instilled a new set of rules.

•Males cannot have long hair. Please cut short.
•No crazy hair styles
•Girls and Boys must use their gender assigned bathrooms
•No adjustment to the school uniform until it is seasonally required (meaning girls wear skirts until the winter comes)

These rules are to be in place as of next week."

"Mommy I don't wanna cut my hair." He whines.

"And you won't. Dylan you can wear shorts and the male uniform."

"Kk." Dylan says. "I'm gonna go get a shirt."

"It's gonna be okay. I'll talk to the principal tomorrow when we go to the school tomorrow. Okay?"

"Okay."

"You don't have to cry." Emma hugs Mateó. "I'll make sure you won't have to cut your hair."

"I'm back!" Dylan sings and dances. "Press play baby!"

"Dylan come here let me see your eye." Emma puts her hand under Dylan's chin and we both look at her eye. "You gotta black eye Ducky."

"So I look cool?" Dylan smirks.

"No not cool." I say. "And where were you she got beat up?" I look at Mateó.

"I got off a stop early so I could talk to my friends. When I got home she was crying on the driveway."

"You're grounded." Emma says.

"What?! Why? I didn't even do anything?"

"Exactly! Because you weren't on the bus, Dylan got beat up. You weren't there to stop them." Mateó's face is full of guilt. "You could've helped her. Now I gotta teach both of you how to defend yourselves."

"How long am I grounded for?"

"Till her bruises heal. Hand in your phone Mr."

"I'm eight, I don't have a phone."

"Good. I'll keep it that way too. Did you do your homework?"

"It's almost done." He mutters.

"Alright. Go on ahead and finish it." He mumbles under his breath as he walks away.

"Emma that wasn't right to blame him."

"Well maybe if he'd stayed on the bus, she wouldn't have gotten beat up. Dylan go ahead and press play." She goes to her seat and I look at her shaking my head.

"Moms we're home!!" The twins yell from the front door. "And were really hungry!!" Alexa's the only one who announces her arrival and hunger. She's got the appetite of a grown man and the metabolism of a six year old. Her appetite definitely comes from Emma. Avery has her moments too.

"Hey moms. Mamá I got my first period today. There was so much blood and all the boys ran like little girls." Alexa says in the doorway. She's such a tomboy. "Look." She says turning around. I see the blood stain on her pants. I'm just shaking my head. "Mom isn't it cool?! I'm bleeding out but I'm still alive."

"That's enough Alexa. Go hop in the shower."

"Mamá I'm a woman now." She says with her hand over her heart. "You and me are the same now."