"I'm not the only Winter Soldier." #2

After the whole „stranger breaking out Bucky" incident, Steve had convinced her to fight alongside of him

In the beginning, she tried to fight her way out once again but it was the knockout punch, Bucky landed that made her think twice about leaving.
She didn't talk to anyone except Steve and whenever Bucky was closer than 5 feet, she'd leave and hide for an hour.

The fight at the airport, that didn't concern her for one bit, ended with the Avengers parting ways and she found herself standing next to a cryogenic cell in the medical wing of the palace of Wakanda.
Inside, the man who had put her through seemingly endless procedures, tests and experiments, all because she wasn't strong enough to take him down.
He didn't remember one single thing but neither did she.

When she was locked in her own cryogenic cell, it was after a sparring fight with the asset who had nearly bashed her head in with his metal prosthetic and the guards had to pull him off of her.

It was a day in December, 1947, she was literally picked off the street.
She was taking a walk after she had received a condolence letter from the army, saying that her brother had been killed in action.
She was devastated and needed to clear her head, attempting to deal with the loss when a figure came up from behind her, knocking her out and heaving her into the backseat of a car.

When she woke up, she was strapped down on a table, tubes sticking out of her left arm.
She looked over to her other arm, only to find it replaced by a metal version.
Praying that it was just a bad dream or a hallucination caused by the pain of losing her brother, she pulled against the restraints, only to be stopped by a small man in a doctor's coat.

"We thought it was a good idea to have you and the asset share a trait. Let's find out if you're as good as a killer as your brother, Miss Barnes."

His face twisted into a sick smile and a muffled scream escaped her lips as she continuously tried to get out of this terrible place.

After that, her memory had been wiped just like Bucky's and she was trained to be one of the deadliest assassins in the world.
When they were transferred to Siberia, she never knew who she was fighting, just to take him down or die trying.
Luckily, her life mattered to the crazy scientists and unlike the other assets, her life had been spared from the Winter Soldier.
It was sometime in the summer of 1991 that she was put back on ice until she was needed again.

At this moment, she stood in front of the window replacing the fourth wall of the medical room, admiring the blooming nature outside when she heard steps behind her.
She turned around to a concerned Steve who stopped right next to her.

"Do you remember anything?" He asked, his gaze also fixating on an acacia right before the window.

"They put me back on ice after I lost a fight against him." She answered plainly. "That's the last thing I remember. Him, nearly bashing my head in."

"He didn't know what he was doing." Steve defended his best friend and turned around to him, frost covering the inside of the cryo tube.

"Yes he did and so did I. It was my mission to bring the asset back home but I don't know where home is or if I even have one." She walked up to the tube and laid her metal hand on the glass.

"Sometimes, I see little images of him but I think it's before he became the Winter Soldier. He looks happy. It's always the same thing I see. Him, a fragile looking boy and a girl. She looks exactly like him."

She retracted her hand and went back to the window.
The silence in the room was tense as Steve was thinking of the right thing to say.
He knew who she was, he recognized her right away.
Bucky's sister y/n was his best friend besides Bucky and he always had a little crush on her.
She was the complete opposite of her brother.
Calm, kind but when it came to Steve she was just as protective of him as her brother.

"The "fragile looking boy" is me and you are the girl. You're his sister, don't you remember anything?" Steve explained and she turned around.

"That's kind of the whole point of wiping someone's memory. So they don't remember."
She stated.

"Your name is y/n Barnes, you're from Brooklyn and this is your brother. James Buchanan Barnes." Steve feared that she might snap and try to kill him once she heard all this just like Bucky did but she remained calm and turned back around.

"So I do have a name." She said absentmindedly.

Steve stood back next to her, carefully taking her metal hand into his, causing her to look up at him.
A look into his blue eyes and she tilted her head in thought.
Steve looked at her, hoping some of the memories would maybe return and his face lit up when she spoke up.

"Are you...Stevie?"

"Yes!" He chuckled, relieved that she did recognize him.

She returned to the tube and took a look at her brother who looked peaceful for the first time in decades as memories started flooding her mind.
Images of her, being carried around by him, the three of them standing in front of what looked like a roller coaster and finally her, engulfed in a hug of a man in a uniform before he left the apartment and closed the door behind him.

"You're in for a surprise when you wake up, punk."