More than a friend

The Avengers just came back from a mission when they received a distress call from their lead scientist and friend [Y/n].
Picking up, Steve had to work on calming down a distressed Bucky who found her bleeding out in the bathroom in his apartment.
He grew suspicious as soon as he realized that his apartment lock had been picked and had his gun locked and loaded when he saw the blood trail running through his apartment.
Following it, Bucky stopped before the closed door of his bathroom and his blood froze when he entered it.

[Y/n] was a good friend of Bucky, she helped him regain most of his memories and was a team favorite and now she was dead in Bucky's apartment.
The gun slipped out of his grip and he got on his knees next to the tub, ignoring the puddle of blood he knelt in and took her hand that hung over the ledge.

Checking her pulse, he was relieved to feel a faint beating and pulled out his phone, leaving a bloody fingerprint and called Steve

Cradling her like a child, he carried her into his car and rushed down to the hospital where he was now waiting for his teammates.
Pacing up and down the waiting room, he ignored the terrified stares of the other people there.
He was covered in blood, his hair was a mess and his metal arm whirred with every clench of his fist.
Upon the call of his name, he turned around to Steve, Natasha and Tony rushing down the hall and immediately bombarding him with questions.

"Bucky what exactly happened?" Natasha asked while Tony was on the lookout for the lead surgeon.

"I came home and the door was unlocked. Inside, there was blood everywhere and I found her bleeding out in my bathtub." Bucky explained and could feel Steve's arms around him although he felt numb.

Tony came back and told the team that they had begun with the procedure and they were welcome to watch in the auditorium.
Bucky's feet carried him into the room and a window separated him from the operating hall.
Everyone kept their eyes trained on the heart monitor and stared at the green dot going up and down while the surgeons removed every bullet from her body and stitched up every knife wound.

It truly was a gruesome sight, four people with scissors, tweezers, needle, thread and all of them covered in [Y/n]'s blood as they tried to save her life

Bucky knew he had to remain hopeful that she hadn't already lost too much blood to keep her with them.
Bucky's trance was intercepted by a continuous beep that came from the operating hall and he found back to himself to see that [Y/n] was flatlining, that [Y/n] was dying.

He watched in agony as the doctors wheeled in a cart, carrying the defibrillator and started to reanimate her

The team stood behind the glass and watched how [Y/n]'s back arched off the table with every wave of electricity they send through her to kickstart her heart but the green dot didn't go back up again.
It kept rolling over the screen as a long green line and the monotonous sound of the heart monitor resembled the sound of a siren in Bucky's ears.

Bucky was numb to everything that happened behind him, Tony throwing his phone against the wall, Natasha failing to control the flow of tears and Steve who sat in the corner, unable to watch another friend pass away.
Looking up, the clock read 01:46AM and Bucky knew that they were going to try and reanimate her one more time before they announced the time of death and seized all attempts to save [Y/n]'s life.
The group of doctors stood still around the table and the assistants started to put away everything as the lead surgeon pulled off the rubber gloves before exiting the operating hall.
Natasha had long left the hospital and gone back to the compound but Tony and Steve were still there.

They both knew that Bucky had a much stronger bond with the young scientist and that they were much more than just friends and coworkers and they knew that it wasn't going to be easy for Bucky to get over this, especially since he's not staying with the team but on his own.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark. We tried everything we could but she already lost too much blood." The surgeon told Tony, afraid of the Winter Soldier's reaction to a loved one dying but Bucky paid no mind as he left the hospital and went back to his car and opened the trunk.

An arsenal of weapons, from small handguns to large-caliber firearms was kept in there and Bucky grabbed ahold of the machine gun, equipped with a scope and checked it for ammunition when Steve came up behind him.

"Buck, what are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm going to find whoever did this to [Y/n] and I'll make sure they suffer, Steve. There's nothing you can do or say to stop me." Bucky said sternly and shut the trunk again.

"She didn't deserve this." He muttered and a tear threatened to fall down his cheek.

"Who said I was going to try and stop you?"

Bucky turned around to his best friend and flinched when his hand landed on his shoulder before he really looked at him.
Steve too, was on the verge of tears but of course he had to stay strong for his friend and wouldn't let them roll.

"She was my friend too."

"She was more than a friend, Stevie."