Wangji

Ever wondered what do people achieve when they are kept at a pedestal? People around that person envy him.

What is the reason for such envious thought?
It's so lonely up here. Can anyone hear my plea? I am so alone...

 Can anyone hear my plea? I am so alone

~Lan Wangji 7 years old~

"Wangji?" Gege calls for my attention as accolades of my cultivation is appreciated by everyone present in the banquet. My cold eyes find his warm one and his is the only genuine smile that I care about. Bowing down to him with respect I look into his proud eyes.

"Elder Lan Qiren, we must say, Second Master Lan has truly lived up to his name. At such a young age he has already reached a supreme level of cultivation. The world should behold his fierceness in future" one of them praise.

"Indeed, I wonder if there is anyone who would be able to surpass this young lad?" another cultivator praises.

"Master Zewu Jun," one of them calls GeGe with a name bestowed upon him, "Young Lan Wangji is definitely following your footsteps. It won't be far when we have another Lan disciple like you, your shadow."

My brother smiles humbly, "Thank you for your kind words, but I am sure my brother can never be my shadow. He will eventually surpass me too." His words surprise me. How can I ever surpass you Gege? Everyone present were taken aback too, but eventually they cheer him on and another wave of congratulatory goes around in order.

Farce.

Everything and everyone around are absolute farce. They care just for themselves. Walking away and having nothing to do with these unwanted pleasentaries, I enter the learning hall, where some students were sitting and studying. Not bothering them, I make my way to the seat assigned to me and meditate.

"Wangji," one of them enquires "Why are you here? Aren't you going to join the banquet?"

Inwardly I sigh. Why is it so important for me to join them when at the end they have no respect for any living creatures? All they care about are some levels of cultivation and not the genuineness of a soul.

"Don't you know you can't trouble the great Wangji here?" A voice mocks and my eyes snap open in time, just as a shrap needle pin is thrown in my direction. With the swiftness I am known for and catching it inbetween my forefingers, I smile at their widened eyes.

Turning my sharp gaze towards the assaulter, the semblance warning in my voice does not go unnoticed,"I am no longer the young lad you can instigate," throwing away the pin I get up "pay heed to my words, as there won't be one next time."

Without another glance I walk away.

Lunatics.

Unable to bear the pretense around me, I traverse towards the cold pool and once seated there all alone on the shore in peace, I reminisce about the one who has taken permanent residence behind my closed lids.