"The Vow"

"Lan Zhan, this place is so special to me" he grins as we take a walk inbetween the woods "Did you know Lan Zhan that uncle found me in the streets?"

Yes, I knew. I met you for the very first time in the streets of Yunmeng. That was the day this heart beat for another soul.

"My mother who was a cultivator too was uncle's friend. My dad was working for uncle. That's how they met. They decided to leave Yunmeng and wanted to travel the realm far and wide. During one such night hunt near Yunmeng, they were killed and I had no where to go. Almost for a long time I was on streets begging or fighting for food. It was my luck that uncle found me and brought me to Lotus Pier" he turns to me and his eyes are so warm as he shares his childhood stories with me.

"Lan Zhan, Jiang Cheng had few dogs and as you're aware I don't like them for often they have bit me when I was on streets whilst fighting for morsel of food. So when he brought me over he had to send those dogs away. Oh Jiang Cheng was so angry that night, he threw me out of the bedroom we shared." He laughs and sobers up when he remembers his Shijie.

"I ran away from Lotus Pier into the woods. I thought no one loved me but Shijie, she came to find me. In middle of the night. I fell down from the tree and she carried me on her back and that's when I realised, Jiang Cheng also cared for me. He too came out in search of me that night. We laughed at the absurdity of our situation and learnt the beauty of innocent hearts. She cooked Lotus soup for both of us" his eyes glazes "I miss her Lan Zhan. The last time I had her Lotus Soup was when she came to Yiling under disguise to make me feel as if I was a part of her new life. She donned the attire  of a new bride. She wanted me to feel the warmth. In a week she was getting married and I was The Yiling Patriarch by then" .

My heart was being ripped apart. I wanted to take Wei Ying in my arms and tell him that I  love him abundantly and to promise him that I am here. I will always be there for him.

"There it is!!!" He looks ecstatic and laughs giddily. Quick on his foot, he climbs the tree and laughs merrily. To hear his laughter, to be witness to his smile, to see him so carefree, I am living each and every moment with him.
Standing a little away I watch him being animated "Lan Zhan this is the same tree that I climbed when I ran away from Lotus Pier. Back then it seemed so tall now" he winks "not so much".

I am glad you had a happy childhood. The boy who smiled at me, I am contented to know that the smile did not diminish. Countless times that I played Inquiry for you, I was told repeatedly that you're doing well, I am humbled. I was not lied to. You did well, Wei Ying. You had a childhood you deserved. I hope in future I can give you the world that you yearn.

He's quiet as he reminisces his past and I look at him with admiration brimming within me. There is a man who lost everything but yet just wants minimal living. He was wronged too but never resented anyone. In past we fought too but never once you hated me. Everytime we met, it was your smile that lured me. Wei Ying give me a chance, open your heart to me, fall in love and let me love you back.

My heart skips a beat when abruptly he falls from the tree. Quick on my feet, I am nick of time to catch him in my arms as I stagger backwards a little. Clutching him to my chest, I breath a sigh of relief. He's safe. I loosen my hold on him when his hold tightens against me. Unable to see his face, he tucks it into my neck and I freeze.

Wei Ying?

"Thank you, Lan Zhan" his voice is hoarse "never before someone has caught me when I have fallen down and I have fallen down innumerable number of times. It feels nice" he whispers "when you have someone to depend on. Thank you".