A new Journey

"Wangji" uncle gestured me to take a seat opposite him. We were inside "Mingshi" the watchtower which was used to summon spirits or curb other such resentful spirits. Uncle was renowned to tame, question or summon them, so this was quite usual practice for him. 

But today he seemed extremely worried and displeased. "Wangji, this hand belongs to a very dark soul and today, I would require your help too".

I nod and summon my Zither. "Everyone, be careful and ready" uncle cautions and the process starts.

As I close my eyes, I hope and pray, whatever happens today, my Wei should be safe. I know, he would immediately come to our rescue for if any untoward happens, but I hope, he will be alright.

The ritual starts and the hand emits the darkest aura we have ever experienced. The last time, I was even remotely close to witnessing one was when I went back to the Burial Mountain in search of Wei Ying.

But this, this is different. The dark energy envelopes the room and screams around me can be heard. I try to concentrate and keep my Qi clean but my cerebration is destroyed when I hear my uncle shout my name.

I open my eyes to find him spouting blood. I look around to see some of the disciples around me are unconscious saving one. Just when I am about to give him a command, the bell on top of Mingshi rings loud and clear, indicating to the others outside about the danger within the four walls.

"Run" I command and the disciple sprints away. Closing my eyes, I try to concentrate on the agitated hand when, I hear another set of footsteps approaching me.

Wei Ying.

I open my eyes, to find him asses the situation and his gaze lands on mine. What are you planning, Yiling Patriarch? This is your game field, how are you planning on changing the situation to your benefit?

Knowing my heart does not want him to ever face another danger but my soul knows, this is Wei Ying, he will always be where there is immense danger and I can never stop him from partaking. So what could I possibly do? Be a part of it and walk by his side, always.

He takes out his bamboo flute and with a subtle nod from me, I play the first few chords of "Evocation" and he follows through.

He's a terrible player. Is he purposely playing hopelessly or has he actually lost touch or is it because he does not have Chenqing with him?

The hand seems to have mellowed down a little but not completely. I look at him to find him him being contemplative. Not wanting to give up, we yet again in union play another tune "Rest" and...

He is even more terrible than before. Unable to keep up the facade, my eyes seek his and I find a subtle mischief behind his lips.

So he is purposely playing the tune in such an horrendous way. But before I could admonish him, my uncle who was in coma, wakes up and directs his ire towards Wei Ying "Stop. Stop. Get out" and with that he falls back into his unconscious state.

If the situation was not of such importance, I would have laughed. Something's never change. My uncle's love for Wei being one.

Shaking his head, we begin playing once again and this time, we're successful in subduing the agitated hand.

Just then the doors burst open and the other disciples enter. "Hanguang-Jun" Jingyi walks closer to me and enquires "are you alright?" and I nod.

Walking closer to uncle, I feel for his pulse and find them quite weak. Using my spiritual power, I transfer some to him. Though my eyes are casted on my uncle, my ears perk up when I hear Wei Ying console Sizhui, who feels all this is his fault and that had he not fallen for the trap in Mo Village, he would not have brought the hand here.

Oh Sizhui. None of this is your responsibility kid.

Watching Wei Ying and Sizhui interact, it tugs my old battered heart.

"So what do we do now?" Jingyi enquires and I look at him "Find the source?"

"Find the source?" He questions looking perplexed and Wei walks closer to Jingyi with a glint in his eyes "Oh yes, we find the source and solve the mystery".

"Who is showing us the source?" He looks around and Wei shakes his head, pointing at the hand "The hand is the source, he is showing us a certain direction. He could either be showing us where his body could be or the person who murdered him".

"So the hand is showing us some direction?" Sizhui looks amazed and I answer "North-west".

"So what are we going to do?" another disciple enquires and I answer "you all take care of uncle and others, we'll go out to investigate".

I feel a warm body size up next to me and Wei whispers loudly "Finally we can elope". If he expects me to be flabbergasted, he's sorely wrong. If only we could!

Not paying any heed to him, we walk out of Mingshi. They take uncle and the other disciples to the infirmary and I walk towards Jingshi. Sizhui, Jingyi and Wei following me.

As we enter Jingshi, I convey my thoughts to Sizhui "Inform brother as to what happened here, tell him I am out there investigating and will be back soon" Sizhui nods. As I pack our essentials, I hear Wei's conversion with lil' Jingyi and I shake my head.

"Hey kid, you think Hanguang-Jun and I should elope and get married?"

"Wha..what?" Jingyi almost screams and Wei laughs "Yeah, well the other day your Sizhui said, he hasn't had any lover".

"First of all, Hanguang-Jun does not require any lover and secondly" Jingyi pauses "Sizhui is not mine" he says with clenched teeth.

"What?" Wei laughs "oh I am sorry, I thought you two were lovers"

"Hey" Sizhui sounds offended and I sigh. What are you trying to insinuate Wei. Shut up. Can I use my muting spell?

"Oops my bad, you two look so cute, always together, so..." Wei purposely trails off and the kids balk. Before he can scandalize them further like last time, I walk out and pull him using the back of his colar.

Something's really don't change. Back in Biling Lake I had resorted to the same method.

Asking them to take care of the situation in here, we walk down the path of Cloud Recess and together, begin a new journey.