Bichen

In a world where everything is superficial, the only thing real is what is in one's heart. I learnt it at a pretty young age.

If not for him, his smile, I don't think this soul would have survived this long. He's the only part of me that was untouched. I was scared to let my emotions get better of me and had anyone known about my feelings, I would have to sacrifice him. That is something I was never ready. Never would be.

To protect him, I locked all my emotions and became cold as ice that envelopes Gusu in its bosom.

~Lan Zhan at the age of 12~

Moving swiftly towards right as a sword from my opponent narrowly misses me, in defence I use my sword as a sheild and kick them swiftly in their shin with my leg. Immediately I move to my next opponent, so on and so forth. Within seconds, all the disciples around me lay prone on the field.

Standing still with my head held up high, I turn to the spectators watching the so called match. Round of applause and praises ring around the arena as I walk out.

"Second Master Lan, that was amazing!!!" One disciple exclaims excitedly and the other join him. Nodding, I walk ahead to where Gege and Uncle are standing.

I bow and my brother grins proudly, "Wangji, that was impressive. You defeated all of them in few seconds, didn't waste a moment." He pats my shoulders, "Proud of you."

"Indeed Wangji, you scored well."  I am surprised by my Uncle's praise for me.

With another round of praises I leave them all to stand in a corner of the room. Today is an important day. We all would be receiving our cultivated swords made from special Gusu Jade. Under normal circumstances one would choose their swords but the Gusu Clan rule testifies that a sword must choose you. So today was a true test of a warrior.

Bichen.

A sword that hasn't had a master yet. No one has seen Bichen. It can appear only if your golden core is pure and strong. Annually, a fight is conducted for every disciple to receive their desired and fated sword. This year I was commanded to participate. Everyone present here thinks that Second Master Lan would even remotely be interested, but the truth is far from it.

I wish to leave everything and walk away, to simply lead a nomads life, but as my gaze finds my brother's, conversing with those people, I don't have it in my heart to leave him all alone. If I leave Gusu, he would let me but I know he would always worry about me, and in the end just as he is the only one close to me, I am to him.

The festivity starts soon and each and every disciple are called forward. In front of each disciple their spirit sword appears and they accept them. Some are sad that they didn't get Bichen and some are content with what they received.