Hanguang-Jun's Reign

I wait patiently for him to answer as I knock at the door to his meditation chamber

I wait patiently for him to answer as I knock at the door to his meditation chamber. A soft breeze caresses my face and the chimes suspended on a wooden plank from above tinkles as they kiss eachother.

"Wangji" his voice is soft from the other side of the door. I could relate to that voice. It was a voice that is grieving, that is in denial, that which is blaming itself alone.

"Brother" I place my palm on the door. It was not to seek his permission to enter his space nor give him words of encouragement. They were all useless. This is me, just being me and telling me elder brother, I am here. At times, we don't need words. We don't need people to surround us all the time. We just need them to realise that at the end of the day, we're simply there for them.

I could hear him shudder and that breaks my heart. He was there for me when I was broken. He was always there for me from the moment I opened my eyes into the world. The only one to take me into his arms secretly when I was young and scared. The one to caress my hair and feed me medicines when I was unable to let my pain be known.

I am here brother.

I am here.

The chimes continue to tinkle as a melody maybe to soothe my brother's battered heart.

The snow below the boots crunch and the feeling of familiarity grows within me

The snow below the boots crunch and the feeling of familiarity grows within me. Years later and they still feel the same. Either they can make one happy or sad, for me it's always been neither. For a person not from Gusu, these expanses mesmerize them, for me it reminds me of loneliness. A young soul all alone, trapped from within.

"Wangji" my heart skips a beat when I hear my uncle's voice and I turn to look at him. His eyes are warm and sad. Standing by my side, he faces the same expanse that I was contemplating at "they never change do they?"

"Hm"

"When you were young, a toddler, I so vividly remember that day" he smiles as his eyes crinkle "you said one day you would travel beyond the mountains to a far of land which will be warm and beautiful" he looks back at me "I should not be surprised that you're here but I am. I was sure you would leave.".