Emperor's Smile

I am sorry.

To protect you, I have to stay away from you. You and I can never become we.

Dui Bu Qi, Wei Ying.

"You scared me!" Clutching his chest and changing his tactics, he instantly gives me a smile that shines brightly tonight

Don't smile, Wei. My heart would be unable to take it.

Keeping a stoic face and averting my gaze from his lips I admonish him, "You're breaking our rules, anyone who misses the curfew can come back to Cloud Recess only after 5am. Now leave."

His smile diminishes and pleads, "Brother Wangji, I am sorry, I am still unaware of your rules" glancing at the goods he's carrying in his hand, he turns to look at me with a smirk, "Brother Wangji, look, you can have the most famous wine of Gusu, Emperor's smile."

Oh my heart, don't you know, sharing a bottle of wine in Gusu, means you're confessing your feelings for them? Stop! Please stop!

"You're breaking the rules, you're offering an officer liquor, it's forbidden here" I state and yet he shrugs. His mischevious smile, melts my heart, but a moment below catches my eye.

Gege!

I have to stop Wei from breaking the rules this very instant!

With my attention no longer on Wei, he tries to sneak away from me, but with my brother approaching, I needed to save the man in front of me. Quickly I block his way using my Bichen. He's taken aback with my swift move, but with that same smile in place, he sincerely apologises and seeks to know his Sects whereabouts.

They're safe Wei, trust me.

When I don't budge, he yet again offers the jar of wine and what ensues next is our first fight which neither of us expected. With my Bichen against his sheathed sword, I must admit, I am extremely impressed. Without using an ounce of power, he is able to subdue my moves.

Maybe it was him, or him challenging my beliefs, or maybe it was just him awakening a dormant feeling within me, that after all these years I finally feel alive. Alright, let's see who wins!

How much do you love your wine, Wei? Shall we test?

As he tries to dodge my attack, I observe that the two jars are connected by a thread. This is where he fails and does not take into consideration the thread binding two jars together. My Bichen slices them in half and even though he quickly jumps to catch one and balance the other on his sword, but alas it falls and breaks.

Ah! His wrath is directed towards me and what he says next, brings my whole world to a standstill.

"Lan Zhan!!!"