Entry # 146: PUNCTUATION MARKS (Romance/Non-Fiction)

"The key to a succesful relationship isn't just in the words.

It's in the choice of punctuation."

- "The Lover's Dictionary", David Levithan

PERIOD (.) - Marks the end of a sentence, or an abbreviation. It is used to emphasize the formality of a statement.

A well-placed period can prevent all doubts and exclamation. It can give a sense of honesty and assurance over an explanation stated. It is pure, simple, and concise. It is a full pause that drives away all doubts, and makes you cling only to its sincerity.

But a period that lacks emotion can be a sign of not having any interest at all. It can be a firm decision, not leaving rooms for suggestions. Or it can simply be just a mark for an end with no more words to follow - an end to a beautiful love story.

QUESTION MARK (?) - A mark used at the conclusion of a sentence to indicate a direct question.

When you're in love with someone, you can't help but use question marks often. It's a point of curiosity, wanting to know more of the person you love. It can be a mark of thoughfulness and too much care. It's a start of a conversation you wouldn't want to end.

But a question mark can also indicate doubt and uncertainty. It is questioning honesty and love. And too many questions will stain a relationship for trust is always necessary. Until it will come to a point where a question mark can also be placed as an end - a series of "what if".

EXCLAMATION POINT (!) - Used to show a forceful way of speaking or a strong feeling.

An exclamation point, when used properly, can be the difference of too much bliss and distraction. It can be an indication of major interest and too much happiness. It is an extra feeling of something positive. It is an overflowing bliss and excitement.

But it can also be an extra feeling of negativity. It's a sign of anger where every written word seems to be uttered forcefully. You are at the peak of your emotion, and being able to end things without thinking straight. And at the end, there will always be regret.

In every relationship, punctuation marks are necessary.