Entry # 170: FORLORN ENDING (Romance/Tragedy)

“Any plans of marriage?”

Those were not the words she wanted to say… but while holding her cup of coffee with both hands, she couldn’t think of anything else.

As always, he showed a smile.

“What do I do? No one lives up to the standard.”

She removed her hands on the table and placed it in her lap. She leaned back on her chair and looked at him intently. It’s been five years since she married. By now, she thought he should have gone on with his life.

“Do you still like me?”

She knew, it was not pure curiosity. It was also full of hope and longing.

He also leaned back in his chair.

“Should we be talking about this?”

He took caution, just like how he handled things then.

She removed her gaze from him and looked by the window. He followed her gaze and what he saw tore his heart. Her eyes were caught by a pair of unmistakable teenagers holding hands and carrying their bags on the other.

“I still like you. I’m sorry.”

She let her tears fall. She couldn’t explain how regretful she was, she just felt like it. And she didn’t even know who she was sorry for.

“You never came. I waited for you. I was there the whole night, until the sun rose, you never came.”

As much as he wanted to bury all the ill feelings he kept in him, he can’t contain how angry he was.

Her gaze tore from the outside. She looked at him instead, her eyes wide, tears streaming down her cheeks.

“You said you didn’t come.”

“How could I ruin your marriage with something so useless, you didn’t even bother to look at before?”

She didn’t know, she just ended up saying things she knew she would regret.

“Can we be together again?”

He stood up from his seat and automatically, she stood up, too. She held on to him.

“I swear, I was going to you. I packed my bags then and realized, I was scared. How could we survive then? We were so young, with no money and no job. I got scared. I didn’t want to live uncomfortably. But I really swear, I was going to you.”

He looked at her face. Tears kept flowing on them. He still can’t believe how he find her beautiful, even now. But as he looked on, he now realized, the beauty in her eyes were all gone. All but remained was something he didn’t want to know anymore. He’s done.

He slowly removed her grip from his arms.

“I wouldn’t want to destroy something you so much wanted to build. Don’t make me into something I hate by destroying your family.”

She didn’t know what to say. She just automatically voiced out her sorry as soon as she was seated again.

After a while, she took her cup again, but just like his, the warmth of the coffee was gone.