she went into labor

title: seven mile island - ice cube

billie's POV

--------------------------------------------

as i'm taking a shower i hear elle scream and quickly turn off the water and get out. i wrap a towel around me, knowing that amelia will probably run in our room as well. i get to elle and see her holding her stomach and screaming. "my water just broke" she tells me. "okay, okay. you're alright. i'm gonna go get your mom and get some clothes on okay?" i explain. "MUM" she shouts. i hear footsteps bolting in and amelia has the go bag in her hand. "come on honey, let's go have some babies" amelia says, taking elle's hand. "i'll be out as soon as i get some clothes on" i repeat. amelia takes elle out of the room and i get into sweatpants and a hoodie, knowing we'll be there for a while. i put on my shoes and make sure i have my phone, elle's phone, our chargers and everything else we might need that's not in the go bag before running out to the car. 

i get in the backseat with elle, seeing amelia is already in the driver's seat. "okay go" i order, holding elle's hand as she squeezes it tightly. "you're doing great baby. you can do this" i tell her in a calm voice, rubbing her stomach with my free hand. "fuck" she screams and lays her head back, squeezing her eyes shut. "we'll be at the hospital soon. just sit tight okay?" i say, trying not to freak out. 

we get to the hospital and amelia runs to the front desk as i help elle inside. "my daughter is going into labor. her name is elle evans, she's having triplets" amelia explains. a nurse grabs a wheelchair and jogs over to us before unfolding it. i help elle into it and the nurse leads us to a room. once we get to the room we get elle into the bed and starts to relax. "how far apart are the contractions?" the nurse asks. i start to answer but amelia answers for me. i pull one of the chairs over to the bed and sit down. "okay, do you wanna watch a movie? let's watch a movie" i suggest, taking my laptop out of the go bag. i turn on elle's favorite movie and she smiles. "i love this movie" she tells me. "i know" i nod. 

about two hours pass and a doctor comes in. "alright elle, if you will just put your feet up on these, that will be so helpful. can you do that?" he asks. elle nods and does as told. he puts a glove on and my eyes widen as he puts his fingers in her. i start to stand up but amelia puts her hand on my shoulder and i sit back down. "okay elle, you are 4 centimeters dilated. you're about halfway there." he tells her and takes the glove off, tossing it in the trash. "you're doing amazing. usually at this point in time if you were having one baby you'd only be like 2 centimeters" he explains with a small laugh. elle forces out a laugh and puts her legs back down on the bed. "i'll be back in about another hour to check again." he says and waves as he walks out of the room. "i'm not ready to have three babies" elle bursts out into sobs right as he leaves and i immediately grab onto her hand. "angel, we've talked about this. if anyone can do this, it's you. i know you're scared, and so am i. i'm terrified. but we can do this. look around the room. we've got so many people here to help us. we have your mom, my mom, my dad, finneas, claudia, elizabeth, even madison! and you're going to be the best mom. i know you are." i remind her. she sniffles and smiles a little. "do you wanna watch another movie to distract you?" i offer. "mhm" she nods and wipes her tears away. "okay" i agree and elle and i look through a few movies before choosing the princess bride.

about four or five hours pass and elle is screaming in pain. the doctor comes in and checks once again. "okay elle, looks like you're ready." he tells her with a smile. "i'm not ready, i'm not ready!" elle sobs. "i know baby. but you can do it. now let's go have some babies okay?" i comfort her as we make our way to the labor room. everyone else stays in the previous room, wishing us luck as we leave. 

once we get to the room they make me change into different clothes and i stand beside elle. she puts her feet up where they tell her to and i offer her my hand. "okay elle, give us your best push" doctor nichols orders. elle screams and squeezes my hand as she starts to push. "you're doing so good. keep going." i tell her. she stops pushing and lays down, utterly exhausted already. "you gotta keep going elle" he says. "come on baby" i encourage her as she starts pushing once again. "okay, one more big push" he demands. elle pushes as hard as she can and squeezes onto my hand tightly. i hear a baby cry and quickly walk over to the doctor. "we've got our first baby boy!" he exclaims. they let me cut the umbilical cord and they hand him to a nurse to get washed off. "you did so good. i'm so proud of you" i smile. "okay. are you ready to start pushing again?" dr nichols asks. "i already had a baby leave me alone" she groans, making me laugh a little. "just two more. it'll be so much easier i promise" one of the nurses says. she nods and takes a deep breath before starting to push once again. a few minutes of me telling elle she's doing great as she pushes pass and i hear another baby cry. "it's a girl" he announces as if we didn't already know the genders. "well now we have one of each" i laugh, making elle laugh along with me tiredly. i cut the umbilical cord and they send her to get cleaned up. "okay elle, one more" he encourages her. she starts pushing once again and even more tears pour down her cheeks. "you're doing so good." i tell her. "it looks like there's a problem. he's facing the wrong way." he announces. "is he okay?" elle asks in a worried tone. "elle i'm sorry but you're going to have to push even harder" he explains. she whines as she pushes as hard as she can for about twenty seconds before stopping and laying back. "i can't do it, i can't do it i'm sorry" she cries. "you're doing amazing elle. just keep going. come on." i urge her comfortingly. she nods and pushes again, squeezing my hand to the point that i feel like it might break. "you gotta push harder" the doctor says. "i can't!" she sobs. "just one more push elle. you got this" he tells her. she pushes one more time but i don't hear crying. i rush over to the doctor and see him holding the final baby. the umbilical cord is wrapped around his neck and his entire face is blue. "oh my god" i whisper.