cry baby

title: cry baby - melanie martinez

billie's POV

---------------------------------------

"i think they're asleep" i whisper to elle. we've spent almost the entire day just watching movies with the kids. it's honestly been one of the best days i've had in awhile. "really?" she asks, trying to keep her voice down. she sits up slightly and looks down at emory, who is passed out asleep on her lap. finneas and grayson are cuddling on the other side of the couch, both asleep as well. "they're adorable" she smiles. "let me up, we should get them to their beds" i suggest, trying to stand up from the couch. elle moves a little and i stand up, picking emory up from her lap. i walk over and pick up grayson as well before carrying them to their rooms. emory has her own room now because we decided that we'd let the boys share a room and emory could have her own because she's the only girl. i set emory in her bed and walk to the boys room, finding elle draping the covers over finn. i place grayson in his bed and kiss his forehead, praying none of them wake up tonight. "let's go to bed" i yawn and put my arm over elle's shoulders. 

once we get to our room elle lays down, pulling me so i lay beside her. "you wanna watch another movie until we fall asleep?" i ask. "sure" she agrees. we look through movies until elle finds one she's interested in. 

"why are you crying baby?" i ask, seeing elle in tears. "th-they had to keep their relationship a s-secret for sixty-two years" she sobs. "but they're married now so it's okay. look how happy they are" i point to the screen. why did i agree to watching a movie about an old lesbian couple that kept their relationship secret? i should've known elle was going to cry. (by the way, it's called "a secret" love on netflix) "nooooo!" she cries, burying her face in my shirt. i look at the screen, seeing it said that one of them died in 2019. "elle it's okay" i comfort her. "no it's not, she's dead" she disagrees. "what about pat? what's she going to do without terry? what about pat billie?! what about pat?!" she asks. "i'm pretty sure pat's de- doing okay." i stop myself, knowing that if i were to say pat's dead then that'll only result in her crying even more. "you have a heart of stone" she tells me when she notices i'm not crying. "come on ellie, you know that's not true" i sigh and rub her back. "you wanna watch something happy?" i suggest. "okay" she nods into my shirt, still obviously upset. "okay baby" i smile a little and turn on a different show. "what if pat's dead?" she sniffles. "she's not dead. she's very healthy." i lie, knowing she probably died. "how do you know?" she frowns. "i don't know ellie. i just have a feeling." i sigh. "okay."

she's adorable