the family that you're in

title: family - dolly parton

elle's POV

------------------------

"BILLIE HURRY THE FUCK UP" i shout from the car. "i'm coming! coming coming coming" she says as she runs to her side. "that's what she said. no time! but she did. no time!" i argue with myself for a few seconds and pull out of the garage once she gets into the car. "we'll get there in time elle, it's okay" she assures me. "it's an hour away and we're supposed to be there in an hour and a half" i remind her. "exactly. we'll be fine" she groans. "does traffic not exist in la anymore?" i ask. "elle, chill out" she laughs. "i swear to god i will kill you in your sleep." i mumble. "elle!" she exclaims. "i'm kidding!" i wave it off. "mostly." i whisper. "elle i can hear you!" "good!"

we finally get to the airport and pull up to the private jet. "finally" elizabeth groans and jogs to the car. "hey liz" i smile and hug her through the window. elizabeth is eighteen now, holy shit. and madison is eleven. they're getting too fucking old, god. (a/n: i don't want to go back and do all the math. all i know is that elle and elizabeth are 4 years apart and elle and madison are 12 years apart. i decided elle and billie are 22 even though i said billie was 23 a few chapters ago. it's all just messy and i'm sorry)

"elle!" i hear my mum yell happily and i immediately get out of the car. "oh so you'll get out of the car for mum but not for me?" elizabeth asks, obviously joking. i think. i finally reach mum and hug her, making her drop almost all her stuff. "where are my grandbabies?" she asks, looking around. "the boys are at finneas and claudia's, em is with patrick and maggie." i answer. "when do i get to see them?" she asks. "you'll see them at dinner, i promise" i laugh. "hey amelia" billie cuts in and hugs mum. "hello billie, it's wonderful to see you" mum says with a wide smile. "where is ma-" i start but almost get tackled before i can finish my sentence. "hello sister" madison's adorable voice greets me. "nevermind." i giggle and hug madison.

we get home after about two hours and billie and i help get everyone settled. "how many fucking guest bedrooms do you need? you have no friends" elizabeth asks. "sas me one more time and you're sleeping outside" i warn her. "damn. she got the mum voice." elizabeth mumbles. "i have three children elizabeth. not to mention i helped raise you two monsters for several years." i remind her. "oh yeah. thank you" she sucks through her teeth. "i think that's one of the reasons you've become such an amazing mother" mum chips in. "thank you" i smile proudly and billie puts her arms around my waist, resting her chin on my shoulder. "she's the best mum" she giggles, mocking my mum's accent when she says mum. "you should make her sleep outside" mum jokes. "i was kidding!" billie laughs, putting her hands up in defense. "you won't make me sleep outside right?" she asks in a quiet voice. "no baby, you're sleeping inside because i can't sleep without you." i whisper back. "good to know" she nods, smiling to herself as she walks away.

"elle, billie, may i speak with you outside for just a second?" mum asks. "absolutely" i nod, following mum to the backyard. i slide the door shut once we're all outside and we sit on the swings. "so are we still good for tomorrow?" mum asks. "i think so. have you talked to her about it or is it a surprise?" billie answers. "i've hinted towards it. i told her that it's going to be just the four of us and madison is going to finneas and claudia's. i haven't really gotten the chance to tell her quite yet." mum explains. "well you should make sure she's alright with it before we go through with it." i add. "i'll talk to her in a few minutes. i'll try to get her away from everyone so it's just a one on one." she shrugs. "okay. was that all?" i ask. "yeah" mum nods. "great" i smile and lead them back inside.

"elizabeth, do you have a minute?" mum asks and i see elizabeth furrows her eyebrows a little. "am i in trouble?" she asks. "no, not at all. i just wanted to talk to you about something" mum explains. "oh. okay" she agrees. they walk into the other room and billie grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers and squeezing my hand gently. i look over and see her smiling widely. "what's going on?" madison asks. "it's nothing" i wave it off and we sit down on the couch.

"HOLY SHIT REALLY?!" i hear elizabeth scream from the other room. "she seems happy" billie laughs.

i can't believe billie and i are going to be the ones making this happen.