i'll be there for your first step

title: growing up - macklemore

(adult) finneas's POV

---------------------------------------------

we're at elle and billie's house right now, just playing with the babies as they make dinner. i'm holding onto finn's hands as claudia holds both emory and grayson in her arms. i see her smiling down at them and laugh a little. "when are we gonna have one of these?" she asks. "tell me which one and i'll try to hide it in my coat" i joke in a whisper. "that one" she says, pointing at finn. "okay but what if we're having sex and you yell out my name and he comes in? we can't do that to him, he's a child" i laugh, making her giggle. "true, true. i'm vibing with emory though. huh em? we're vibing right?" she asks. emory babbles and raises her hands up, grabbing onto claudia's necklace. "adorable" i smile. 

i can't wait until claudia and i have our own baby. i hope they look just like her. 

i accidentally let go of finn's hands and he takes a few steps and walks over to me, flopping down into my arms. "hey billie" i call out, sort of freaking out because i don't know if he's walked before. "what's up?" she asks, walking into the kitchen. "has finn taken his first steps?" i ask. "nope, only emory and gray have" she answers. "well um... i think he just did" i suck through my teeth and smile a little. "holy shit really? elle!" she exclaims and walks over, picking finn up from my lap. "what?! what? is everyone okay? no one's hurt right?" elle runs in with a worried look on her face. "finn just took his first steps!" billie tells her. "good job buddy!" she smiles widely and kisses finn's forehead. finn smiles up at them and laughs a little as they shower him with kisses. after a few seconds he makes grabby hands at me and billie frowns. "he loves my brother more than me" she pouts. "he just likes finneas. he likes the feeling of his beard, i can tell. he loves you with all his heart, you know that" elle comforts her. "i see how it is. i wiped your butt and this is how you repay me?" billie jokes. "just go. go live with finneas and claudia" she orders dramatically and hands him to me. he smiles again and grabs onto my beard. "i guess you were right elle" i laugh. "mother's intuition." she shrugs and walks back to the kitchen.

we spent the rest of the day at elle and billie's, they're letting me put the babies to bed right now. claudia follows close behind me with emory in her arms as i carry finn and grayson into the nursery. i put them in their cribs and claudia does the same with emory. finn starts fussing and i see a guitar in the corner. i grab it and sit on the chair beside his crib. "congratulations you've been pretending to be human, so well" i sing and strum the guitar. i get so into the song that i don't even notice claudia recording. once the song ends all the babies are asleep and i put the guitar back. "maybe in about a year when our careers have mellowed out, we can try to have one" claudia suggests. "i'd love nothing more" i agree and peck my lips to hers before hugging her. 

please let this year go by fast.