old ladies

title: old age - masego

elle's POV

the next day*

--------------------------

"okay gray. it turns out you can't help at the volunteer center so you, finn and i are going to a retirement home all together today." i explain as i get his shoes on. "okay mommy" he agrees. "you got finn ready?" i ask, looking over at billie once i finish with gray's shoes. "yep. give me a hug little man" billie smiles and holds her arms open. finn hugs her and gray runs over and hugs her as well. she wraps her arms around both of them and frowns at me as i watch their interaction. "i love you guys. have fun with mommy" billie tells them. "love you too mama" they say in unison. billie kisses their heads and stands up with a smile. i give her a hug and she hugs me back. once i pull away she presses our lips together and i smile against the kiss. "ewwww" i hear the boys gag and i laugh. "i love you" i tell billie and she says it back. i get everything we'll need and we get in the car.

once we get to the retirement home i help the boys out of the car and lead them inside. finn holds gray's hand and gray grabs onto mine as we walk into the building. "hello, my name is elle o'connell. these are my sons finneas and grayson. i was wondering if there is any way we could just come in and sit down with some of the residents." i explain. "oh my god. elle o'connell. you and billie really got married?" she asks. "do i know you?" i furrow my eyebrows a little. "it's me, jess" she laughs a little. "oh my god, hey" i smile a little. she walks around the desk and hugs me. "your sons are adorable by the way." she tells me. "thank you. we have a daughter too but she's at home with billie. boys this is my friend jess. say hi" i order. the hide behind me and i laugh a little. "sorry about that. they're kinda shy" i tell her. "oh it's fine. it's great that you're coming in though. it's been so long since i've seen you." she shrugs it off. "it really has. i'm sure the boys are already bored though so like i said, is there any way we can just sit down with some of the residents that don't get very many visitors?" i ask. "of course, right this way" she nods. 

jess leads us into a big room with a few tables in it. there is a group of women sitting down at one of them and working on a puzzle. "hello ladies. you guys have some visitors" jess tells them. one of the ladies smiles widely and hops up from her seat and walks over to us. "jackson! look how big you've gotten!" she exclaims and pinches gray's cheek. "no, lillian they aren't related to you. this is elle o'connell and her sons grayson and finneas." jess explains. "oh, i'm sorry about that. my memory has started to go" lillian laughs. "it's okay. boys, say hi" i order once again. "hi" gray waves a little. "hello" finn says after a few seconds. "i'm elle, it's nice to meet you" i introduce myself and shake lillian's hand. "it's nice to meet you as well. these are my friends edith, diana and rhonda." lillian explains, pointing to each lady as she says their name. "i better get back to work. you guys have fun" jess announces and waves as she walks out of the room.

"so what do you think of jess?" i ask as the boys and i sit down. "bitch" rhonda answers, making the other ladies and i laugh. "my apologies, i forgot about the little ones" rhonda covers her mouth. "it's okay. their other mother and i swear up a storm. but they know not to say those words right boys?" i wave it off. "right mommy" they nod. "you boys are so lucky to have two mommies" rhonda says, smiling at the three of us. "my wife and i actually have a daughter as well. they're triplets" i explain. "how's that?" diana asks. "a handful" i answer, making them all laugh. "so did you guys adopt or use a sperm donor?" lillian asks. "well the kids actually have both my wife and i's DNA" i start. "i'm going to head to my room." edith groans and stands up, walking out of the room. once the door shuts behind her rhonda sighs. "i'm sorry about her. she's just.... i don't know what the hell she is" rhonda shakes her head to herself. "is she homophobic or something?" i ask. "extremely. i'm surprised she didn't leave earlier. we don't really associate with her though. we just wanted to work on the puzzle and she happened to be want to do the same. " diana whispers the last two sentences and we all laugh. 

after about an hour i get a text from billie saying that she's making dinner. "i better get home. billie is making dinner and we know how that goes huh boys?" i announce. "why can't you make dinner mommy?" finn grimaces. "maybe if we get home soon enough i can help her so she doesn't screw it up too bad" i shrug and stand up from my chair. "it was fantastic to meet you all. we'll definitely be back" i tell them. "bye bye" rhonda smiles and waves to us. "we'll see you" i wave and lead the boys out to the car. 

"so, what'd you think?" i ask once we're all in the car. "it was fun" gray answers in a happy tone. "what about you finn?" i question, looking back at them in the rearview mirror. he gives me a thumbs up and i smile. "good to know. what do you guys want to listen to?" i ask. "mama!" finn orders. "okay, we'll listen to mama's music" i agree and turn on 8. 

once we get home i put the boys in the play place and walk over to billie. she's stirring something and singing to music that's playing through a speaker. "so, what're you making?" i ask, rolling up my sleeves and washing my hands as i pray that she hasn't already messed it up.