We Can Do It (Stargate Pt 1)

AN: There will be a part 2 of when they go through the gate. Coming soon.

Racing down the halls, I barely held onto the papers under my arms. I silently cursed the military and anyone who was a part of it. Not one of them had told me that there was a meeting nor that there was a new archeologist being brought into the base to attempt to decode the cartouche. I burst through the doors in a flurry of paper and sound.

"Sorry! No one told me he was....." I trailed off as everyone looked at me. It didn't matter because only one person was looking at me like I had something interesting to say. Blue eyes wide, eyebrows nearly at his blond hairline, and fighting back a smile. "Here." I tried to fight the smile that was threatening to break out but I was having a hard time. "Or that he was Dr. Daniel Jackson." Daniel stood there staring at me, seemingly fighting the urge to run over to me and help me pick up all the papers I had dropped. My smile finally broke through and I could see the strain taking its toll on him. He finally broke into a soft smile and his piercing gaze softened.

"Come here (Y/N)." He waved me over and I dropped the remaining papers in my arms. To everyone else it must have looked like a crazy person running through an explosion of paper but to Daniel it must have looked like an excited friend overjoyed to see him. Being introverts and people that were basically ostracized in their own profession, it wasn't all that hard to understand why Daniel and I had grown close only to disappear from each other's lives not too long after. I never crashed into Daniel when we hugged. He was always ready for me, arms wrapping around my waist, gently pulling me up, making it easier for me to wrap my arms around his neck. Arms tight around me and face in my shoulder, I could finally tell how much of a strain Daniel had put on himself by not running to me the second I burst in the door. "God have I missed you." Muffled words reached my ears as I reached up and buried my fingers in long blond hair.

"Like you wouldn't believe." I responded, my own words muffled by his shoulder. We were in our own little world. We didn't care about anyone else in the room. Pulling away and smiling at him, I took his hand. "Let's get to work." Daniel nodded and joined me next to the cartouche. I pointed to the blackboard with a smile and watched as Daniel's eyes widened. I bit back a laugh as he shook his head and started erasing various words.

"Who the hell translated this?" He mumbled to himself and it grew harder to keep in my laugh. I shot a look at the smaller group that was standing next to our benefactor, Catherine. She was as amused by this as I was.

"What is it supposed to say Doctor Jackson?" She asked, winking at me as I watched Daniel with apt attention. Daniel jerked around after finishing the translation before turning back towards it and translating for the rest of us.

"Well, this should read," He started to gesture at the hieroglyphs. "A million years into the sky is Ra, sun god, sealed and buried for all time. And it's not door to heaven. It's Stargate." Daniel turned back around with a smile. I smiled back and turned to Catherine.

"Best in the business." I joked as I looked up at him and linked our arms. Daniel chuckled as he pulled me closer. I shared a look with Catherine.

"Best get to work you two." She said with a wink. Before long it was just the two of us working long hours of our own choosing trying to figure out the symbols on the cartouche. Daniel leaned over the desk listening to what he had recorded on tape while I sat on the desk next to him. My head was leaned against his back and I was nearly asleep when something came through the haze from the recording.

"I'm never getting paid." I huffed and jolted awake when Daniel moved. "Sorry." Moving around me, Daniel grabbed the coffee pot and turned to walk out of the room. Still not awake I gazed after him.