Prom (Steff part 2)

The next day at school, I had given Steff a proper answer. Now, here I was smoothing down my outfit for the millionth time as I waited for Duckie to come pick me and Andie up. There had been an agreement to meet at prom rather than have Steff come pick me up and now I was regretting it. I looked over at Andie and took a deep breath.

"Where is Duckie?" I asked, my hands starting to shake. "He should have been here by now." Andie came over and hugged me tightly.

"You're regretting saying you'd meet Steff at the dance aren't you?" she said as she carefully smoothed my hair. I nodded against her shoulder as I tightened my grip on her. I squeezed my eyes tight and silently prayed I wouldn't start crying. "It's ok (Y/N). Duckie will be here soon and it isn't that long a drive to the hall. You can make it." I nodded again and took a deep breath before pulling away. I gently wiped under my eyes and nodded again.

"You're right. This is silly." I acknowledged and Andie smiled at me like she was hiding something. "Wait a second." She turned away from me and went to put on her shoes. I followed her. "Something's up. You're hiding something." I pointed at her and tried to fight the nerves that were building. What if Steff had changed his mind and wasn't going to prom anymore? What if he just didn't show?

"Stop your little what if game." Andie's calm voice broke through my thoughts. "Even if I was hiding something, what makes you think it's something bad? Maybe it is something good." I opened my mouth to dispute her but was cut off by a car horn. Damn Duckie's new car and that infernal horn. "Let's go." Andie took my hand and gently pulled me down the stairs. She opened the door right as Duckie was going to knock.

"Wow." He said when he saw her. His attention got caught on me. "Double wow." Andie laughed as Duckie came in and hugged the two of us. "You both look absolutely fantastic." I smiled as Andie kissed his cheek. "Oh (Y/N). There's a surprise for you in the car. Why don't you head out to get it?" I rolled my eyes.

"Wouldn't it be easier for you to go get it Duckie?" I scoffed. He laughed as I went anyway. I shook my head and walked out the door. Looking over my shoulder, I continued to tease Duckie for making me go out to get the surprise. "Honestly Duckie. This is a..." Turning around, I froze. Standing in front of a stretch limo was Steff. His tie was undone and he didn't have his jacket on but he was smiling bigger than I had ever seen him. He bit his lip as he pushed off the limo and started to make his way to me. "Piss poor surprise." I finished. I didn't notice Duckie and Andie had moved to the porch or that Andie was taking pictures.

"Hi." Steff whispered as he reached me. His voice broke me out of my trance and I practically threw myself at him to hug him. Steff laughed loudly as he caught me, picked me up and held me as tightly as he could.

"Hi yourself." I laughed as he put me back down. Seff's hands were on my waist and I laid my hands on his chest. The smile wouldn't leave his face and I doubt mine did either. "What are you doing here? I thought we were meeting at prom." Steff chuckled as he gently swayed us back and forth.

"Well about halfway through getting ready I realized that I didn't want to see you all dressed up for the first time in a room full of our classmates. And that's when the call from Andie came. She said you were a mess. Nerves or something." Steff shrugged. "So I got Duckie's number from her, told him I would meet him at his with the limo I had rented anyway, and we would pick you two up together." He cast a look over my shoulder and smiled again. "So here I am, barely finished getting ready because by the time I got to Duckie's house we were running late." His hand sweeped down the length of his torso before settling on my waist again. I giggled as I gently patted his chest.

"That's ok." I said as I reached up to tie his bowtie. "All that means is I get to help you out a little." Steff watched my hands as I tied the intricate bow. I bit my lip as I straightened it out and patted his chest when I finished. "Now go get your jacket and put it on and you'll be ready." Steff leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to my cheek before running back to the limo. He leaned in and grabbed the jacket, putting it on as he made his way back to me.