Chapter 4 ~ Unworthy

When we were little, Thor and Loki loved to play tricks on each other.

One time, Loki transformed himself into a snake, knowing that Thor would be interested as he loves snakes. Thor then went to pick it up, to admire it and he transformed back into himself, scared Thor and then stabbed him. We were 8 at the time.

Another time, he turned Thor into a frog, which I will admit was very entertaining. That was only when we were younger, the deception progressed further as we aged, becoming a useful tactic in battle.

These consistent schemes gave Loki his fitting title, God of Mischief.

I knew it was Loki that warned someone of our journey to Jotunheim, I knew that he would take any opportunity to get Thor into trouble, casting himself out of the shadow, temporarily. This time, however, he had taken it too far.

We arrived back on Asgard and I could feel Father's anger radiating off of him. "Why did you bring us back?" I heard Thor yell.

"Do you realise what you've done? What you have started?" Odin questioned, his disappointment in us extremely clear.

"I was protecting my home!" Thor defended, his voice faltering a little as he slowly realised how much trouble he was in.

"You can't even protect your friends!" Odin boomed at Thor as I glanced over at Fandrall who was clutching his chest in agony. "How can you hope to protect a kingdom? Get him to a healing room! Now!"

I watched as Hogun and Volstagg carried Fandrall away with his arms over their shoulders. "There won't be a kingdom to protect if you're afraid to act. The Jotuns must learn to fear me, just as they once feared you." I watched as Loki looked down at his hands, which to my surprise, were completely unscathed after being touched by a Frost Giant.

"That's pride and vanity talking, not leadership. You've forgotten everything I taught you about a warrior's patience. And you." He turned to me. Oh dear. "You allowed your brother to go through with this behaviour, and from what I heard, encouraged him, riled him up even? Hm?"

I said nothing, tears streaming silently down my cheeks. Mortified I bowed my head in shame, knowing when enough was enough. I knew our mistake and was ready for the repercussions. Thor, however, continued to push. "While you wait and be patient, the Nine Realms laugh at us. The old ways are done. You'd stand giving speeches while Asgard falls." Thor argued, Mjolnir tight in his fist.

"You are a vain, greedy and cruel boy!"

"And you are an old man and a fool!" Thor screamed.

They both looked defeated as they focused on the words just exchanged.

"Yes. I was a fool... to think you were ready-"

"Father-" Loki interjected before being silenced.

"Thor Odinson, you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war!" He slammed the Bifrost sword into the floor sending lightning around the room. I saw the tears spiking in Thor's eyes. "You are unworthy of these realms! You are unworthy of your title! You are unworthy of the loved ones you have betrayed." He ripped Thor's armour off him, stripping him of his glory. Loki caught my eyes. He looked riddled with guilt.

Odin climbed toward the sword, turning it, sending the walls spinning around us. "I now take from you your power!" he yelled as he held out his hand, wielding Mjolnir away from Thor's precious grasp. "In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!"

I watched in horror as our father blasted Thor into the Bifrost, sending him who knows where. I fell to my knees in pain at the realisation I had just lost my twin, my closest friend and partner in crime. I didn't know where to direct my anger. Loki, for betraying us? Odin, for banishing him? Thor, for seeking a war mission? Or me? Who let it all unravel, failing to prevent this.