Chapter 90 ~ Time Travel

We left the diner promptly after Bruce returned from the bathroom, with his giant form hanging out the back of the truck.

Scott and him immediately started experimenting with the van Scott claimed would be the way we would be able to travel through time.

I had a horrible feeling that this would go wrong, but also knew that my thoughts were far from encouraging and wouldn't help the others, so kept them to myself.

Once Bruce was sure they were ready to start testing, Scott volunteered himself to be the dummy as he had the most experience. He put on the suit and nervously paced while the rest of us helped Bruce set up the equipment.

"Okay, here we go. Time travel test number one. Scott, fire up the, uh, van thing." Bruce ordered as Scott opened up the van, revealing the glowing metals inside.

"Breakers are set. Emergency generators are on standby." Steve announced, appearing out from behind a few crates and joining Nat and I at Bruce's side.

"Good, because if we blow the grid, I don't wanna lose, uh, Tiny here in the 1950s." Bruce warned through gritted teeth, as if he was trying to stop Scott from hearing him when he was completely within earshot.

"Excuse me?" Scott questioned, sounding like he was ready to back out of this ludicrous plan. I wouldn't blame him.

"He's kidding. You can't say things like that." Nat scolded Bruce, tapping away on a tablet with a smirk on her lips.

"It was a bad joke." He stammered apologetically, but I could tell he was also scared of what this might do. Scott looked incredibly unconvinced, walking away to the back of the van. Probably to stop himself overhearing anything else that would make him want to abandon ship.

"Please tell me you were kidding." I whispered to Bruce, fiddling with the hem of my shirt to distract my hands from the fear of more failure. As much as I wanted this to work, the fear of regaining my title of being a failure was eating at my determination.

"I have no idea. We're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke or none of it is. We're good! Get your helmet on." Bruce explained, too nonchalant for the severity of the situation before yelling to Scott with a big green thumbs up.

Still stuck with a worried expression, Bruce nudged me with a wide fake smile to seem encouraging to Scott, who was about to be sucked into god knows what. 

I replaced my frown with a grin that didn't meet my eyes and nodded in Scott's direction as he fiddled with the helmet in his hands.

I leant to my left, closer to Nat and whispered to her, the quiet sound escaping between my gritted teeth, still forcing a smile. "Am I the only one with a dark foreboding feeling?"

"No, I'm just trying to ignore it." She hushed, breaking her smile and resting her hand on her hip.

"How encouraging." I muttered to myself, feeling a pair of blue eyes watching the side of my face as Scott anxiously pulled the helmet over his face.

"Scott, I'm gonna send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in 10 seconds. Make sense?" Bruce asked him in-between flicking a few controls.

"Perfectly not confusing." Scott brushed off the bizarre notion, sounding like the brave hero he had been trying to be for so long.

"Oh god." I murmured, biting down on my lip, waiting for the impending doom to hit.

"Good luck, Scott. You got this." Steve encouraged him, sounding like he actually thinks this would work. He has more hope than I do. 

"You're right. I do, Captain America." Scott agreed as my eyes land on Steve, trying to absorb some of the hope in his eyes and find them already looking at me. A blush rose up my neck and into my cheeks before I looked away just in time to watch Scott get sucked into the back of the van, a tight-lipped smile on my face. Maybe this would work. Or maybe I spoke too soon.