Chapter 64 ~ A Strange Visitor

It has been nearly two years since we went on the run.

It was incredibly difficult at first as we had two infants to hide with, but I would now consider us expert fugitives. 

After Nat arrived in Wakanda, we flew the jet to 'The Raft', which was the prison where Wanda and Sam were captured. It was a high security prison in the middle of the ocean, so it required a team of highly skilled individuals. Aka Steve, Nat and I. It was the first time I was able to be involved in the fight in a while and it felt incredible to let the power surge through my body without worrying. We broke Sam and Wanda out and have been running since.

We realised it was less conspicuous for us to split up and go our separate ways, meeting every few months to check in. 

From what we last heard from Sam, him and Nat had been jumping around Europe, trying to prevent terrorists from using the Chitauri technology, which had gone around on the black market. 

Vision had turned off his transponder and ran away with Wanda. From what we have heard, through minimal communication, they are living together in Scotland. It's a little weird, I have to admit, but he is the most human robot I have ever known.

Steve and I tried living in different areas of Europe but everywhere we had tried to settle, Ross had caught up with us. So, we had to move again. Something drew us to Norway, and with a little help from Nat's contact, Rick, we found a cottage on the edge of a small fishing village. It wasn't much, but it was all we could have at this point. 

The people of the village are one of the reasons we have stayed so long. Due to their devotion to Norse Mythology, they worship me like a deity. Especially since they have had such an influx in fish since our arrival. Whenever the authorities came looking, they turned them away, keeping us safe. 

Our cottage is a few miles outside of the village, so we had a good amount of privacy. The only house nearby belonged to an old man who only had one eye. He seemed to have good intentions but could be a little nosy, but he always offered to watch the children if Steve and I ever needed to do anything without them.

In hopes to disguise ourselves a little more, Steve and I tried to slightly alter our appearances. Steve grew a beard and let his hair grow long and I wish he had done it sooner because it suited him really well. He looked even more handsome, if that was possible. I had tried cutting my hair shorter, but every time it grew back instantly. 

As I have mentioned before, Aurora and James had developed much faster than human children. Their actual age is 18 months, but they have the appearance of children who could be four or even five years old and they were incredibly smart.

With little resources, I had tried to teach them as much as I could about Asgard and its history while Steve had done the same with Earth. They loved hearing stories of Steve's time with the Howling Commandos and my time fighting alongside my brothers and Asgard's army, but they loved the stories from when we were Avengers the most.

They were by far the most incredible things I had ever had a hand in creating.

But of course, something this perfect couldn't last forever.

It was just a regular day. Steve was watching the children while I prepared lunch. They were watching 'The Wizard of Oz' in the living room. We had just skipped over the part where Dorothy and Toto were captured by the Wicked Witch of the West because Aurora was afraid of the flying monkeys. Nothing was out of the ordinary. 

Suddenly a circle of orange sparks appears out of thin air. Out of shock, I dropped the bowl of salad I had just prepared, and it tumbled to the floor, spreading vegetables onto the kitchen floor. At this noise, Steve jumped up from the couch in the living room and rushed to my side, ready to fight whatever monster may jump through the circle as it grew.