Chapter 18 ~ Strangers to Friends

---Steve's POV---

We were fighting a losing battle.

Unless Natasha got that portal closed, and quickly, we had no chance. They just kept coming.

Thor was fighting on the ground beside me as we fought off more aliens. Things were pretty tense between us since the thing with Theia earlier. I hope he doesn't hate me for, well, I don't know what will happen with Theia, but I have strong feelings for her. But she's going to leave after this. I don't want that to happen, but I don't really have a choice.

Suddenly, one of these alien things shot me in the side, sending me to the floor. God, that hurt. I saw Thor hit his hammer into a car and it crashed into the aliens surrounding us. I groaned as I raised myself to my knees. Thor stretched out his hand in order to help me up.

"Are you ready for another bout?" He smiled at me as I used him as a crutch.

"What, are you getting sleepy?" I joked back hoping that we were still friends "Hey, man, I'm not gonna hurt your sister-"

"I know. But if you do, I don't think she will need me to defend her, she's pretty good at that herself." He laughed as he summoned his magical hammer back to his hand.

I suddenly heard Natasha speaking through the earpiece. "I can close it. Can anybody copy? I can shut the portal down."

"Do it!" I yelled back urgently.

"No, wait." Stark chimed in.

"Stark these things are still coming." I added.

"I got a nuke coming in. It's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

"Stark, you know that's a one-way trip." I responded as I looked up and saw Theia standing near Natasha. They started fighting, her vision was coming true. How did I let her near Loki? I should have kept her at my side this whole time.

She's going to fall.

Stark said something in response, but I was too distracted by the scene at the top of the tower to comprehend what he said.

I watched as Natasha kicked Theia's enchanting face off the edge of the tower. My heart dropped as she did, and my legs sprinted in her direction. I said I would catch her. I had to catch her.

"Don't freak out fellas but I just kicked Theia off the edge of the building. Someone better catch her." Natasha yelled through my ear.

"On it."

---Theia's POV---

I had closed my eyes; I thought it might make dying easier. More and more of the tower appeared above me as I zoomed towards the ground, but something swept my body from the fall.

I opened my, now normal, eyes and saw Steve's face looking down at me, his brows furrowed with worry. He laid me down on the floor as he cradled my head and chest.

He caught me, just like he said he would. I smiled up at him as he caught his breath. I began to laugh a little at the situation.

"Hey, you're okay. I got you."

"I know." I giggled as I rubbed my hand on the place where Natasha just kicked me while squinting my eyes in pain. "You know, that was a really bad example of a damsel in distress." I joked as Steve's blonde hair flopped over his dirty and bloody face.

"Rogers, is she alright?" I heard through the comms.

"Her pride is a little bruised, but other than falling from a building, I'm-" I looked into Steve's eyes, and he smiled down at me. Damn I think I've fallen for a mortal. Literally. Father was going to be so mad. "Fantastic." I finished as Steve stroked my forehead gently.