Chapter 21 ~ The Aether

Thor and I grew further from Asgard as we approached the Bifrost. We walked in to see Heimdall facing away from us and looking out to the galaxy ahead. 

"You're late." He called out to us, without actually looking at us.

"Merriment can sometimes be a heavier burden than battle." Thor replied as I unhooked my arm from his and walked towards the frame of stars.

"Then you're doing one of them incorrectly." Heimdall added.

Thor chuckled slightly, knowing he was definitely right. "Perhaps. How fare the stars?" He asked as he followed me, nearer to the edge.

"Still shining. From here, I can see nine realms and ten trillion souls." He recalled as he slotted the Bifrost sword down. The gears on the walls began to turn and the eye of the Bifrost spun down, giving us a better view. "Do you recall what I taught you of the Convergence?"

"Yes. The alignment of the worlds. It approaches, doesn't it?" Thor summarised as I gazed out at the enchanting collection of planets. It was like all the stars were spelling out his name.

"The universe hasn't seen this marvel since before my watch began. Few can sense it. Even fewer can see it. But while its effects can be dangerous, it is truly beautiful." Heimdall admired as he joined us at looking out at the beauty.

"I see nothing." Thor grunted as he searched the skies.

"Or, perhaps, that is not the beauty you seek." He responded leaving both Thor and I chuckling. We both knew this was in reference to Jane. 

"How is she?" Thor asked. This is what we were really here for. I'm not sure if I am actually, truly in love with Steve but I was certainly feeling incredibly intense feelings that I didn't want to stop. 

"She's quite clever, your mortal. She doesn't know it yet, but she studies the Convergence as well. Even..." Heimdall stopped dead, his shoulders stiffened up as he trailed off. 

"What?" Thor and I asked simultaneously, filled with equal concern and confusion. 

"I can't see her." Heimdall muttered ominously. 

"You must go." I commanded to Thor. "You have to go and see if she's alright." 

The three of us stepped back ready for Thor to travel to Earth. Heimdall stepped up to his podium and slammed the sword down. The room began to spin, and Thor stepped back to the edge, ready to leave. 

A bright light flashed as Thor was sucked up and away to Earth. 

I inhaled and exhaled deeply, anticipating my brother's return, however, in the meantime, I decide to ask Heimdall about Steve. 

"How is he?" I asked as Heimdall raised his eyebrow at me. 

"He is keeping himself busy. Many missions with a red head. He misses you." He informed me as my cheeks flashed up with blush again the second time tonight. Both for different reasons. The red head must be Natasha. I couldn't help but smile at the news he missed me too.

"Can you see Thor? What about Jane?" I asked, returning to the matter at hand. 

Heimdall started chuckling as he looked out to the stars, watching. "She is getting a little violent with him."

I started to giggle at the thought of Thor getting slapped by a girl, better yet the girl he loves. We continued to wait in silence for a few minutes before Heimdall pushed the sword back down, suggesting Thor was ready to return.

"He has company." He declared as the room started to spin. 

Was Thor bringing Jane back to Asgard?! This is going to go wrong. Father will go absolutely ballistic. Don't get me wrong, it will be wonderful to see him happy, but Father is going to be furious.