Chapter 83 ~ We Lost

There's an end to every storm.

Once all the trees have been uprooted. Once all the glass has shattered and all the hearts are broken.

The wind hushes, the clouds part and the rain stops.

It is in those moments after the storm settles, that we learn who was strong enough to survive it.

After a storm clears, people try to repair the destruction in order to return to a normal life, but some damage is irreparable. Sometimes, the storm destroys all chances of things getting better.

Sometimes, the storm kills hope.

Getting on that ship and getting it to fly for a few hours after we repaired the damage from the battle on Titan, gave me a little hope in a time where it seemed like a distant fantasy.

I had hope that I would return home, and be with my family. I had hope that even after the storm, I would still survive. But as we ran out of fuel, and the damage of the ship became worse, that hope began to slip away.

We had had about 48 hours of flight time before we ran out and then we had been stuck in the same place, just drifting in space, for 20 days.

We had been staggering our resources but ran out of food 2 days ago and would run out of oxygen in a few hours.

And that would be the end.

I had tried to communicate with home the same way that I spoke to Thor from half-way across the galaxy, but was met with more failure.

I had even tried using dark magic to just get a few words in but it was like the universe wanted me to go out in silence.

Even though there is no way of them actually hearing me, I still spoke to James, Aurora and Steve every single day, as if they were here, telling them about everything that had happened. It made me feel better by denying the truth and feigning my sanity.

I hoped that they would forgive me for not being strong enough to survive the storm and that they would remember the short time we had together, as I would, until my last breath.

I tried my absolute hardest to get back to them, but now was the time to give up, as much as I wish it wasn't.

We had spent a lot of time playing a game that Tony showed us that was like a miniature version of American football. I wasn't particularly good at it but I wasn't trying particularly hard though, having lost my desire to win.

Thanks to Quill's love of music, we had played through almost the entire contents of the Zune, with Tony recognising a lot of the songs while I recognised none.

Tony had been using the remaining parts of his suit to create video messages for Pepper, should anyone ever find us. I had told him to say that I had died a noble death in battle as I didn't want Steve or anyone to think about me starving and suffering in the emptiness of space and that, instead, it had been quick.

I also knew that if there was any chance of him seeing the videos, that I would have no idea how to say the things I want to.

Nebula and I were just finishing a game, that she was winning, easily. Something I knew she enjoyed, having lost to her older sister her whole life.

"You are much better at this than me." I sighed as her foil triangle flew between my thumbs, securing her victory.

"Yes. But if you actually tried you would be better." She replied with her monotonous and robotic voice as a tiny smile formed at the edge of her mouth.

I shrugged, knowing that was the truth, while smiling back at her. Over the past few weeks, I had realised from spending time with Nebula, that she was very similar to Loki in a lot of ways; some I am less inclined to admit.