Chapter 58 ~ Shoot to Kill

"Who were they?" Steve asked Bucky as we stood around him in the dank and gloomy warehouse. 

"Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum." Bucky muttered, his previously shaky voice becoming more serious. 

"They all turn out like you?" Sam asked him, leaning against the wall.

"Worse."

"The doctor, could he control them?" I asked him, hoping for a different answer than I the one that I knew was coming.

"Enough." Bucky confirmed, ominously. 

"He said he wanted to see an empire fall." Steve informed, looking to the ground.

"With these guys, he could do it. They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight... infiltrate, assassinate, destabilise. They can take a whole country down in one night, you'd never see them coming." Bucky listed as I looked to Steve and Sam who looked increasingly worried as their frowns grew more prominent. 

"Thank you." I smiled gratefully, yet sadly at Bucky, relieving him from straining his mind for information. I shuffled closer to Steve who looked deep in thought, contemplating our next move.

Sam moved closer too. "This would have been a lot easier a week ago." He muttered as I looked over at Bucky whose real fingers were interlaced with the metal ones as his head hung below his shoulders. 

"If we call Tony..." I suggested hopefully, remembering how, currently, I was the only one in the room on good terms with him, although, I had a feeling that wasn't going to be a lasting truth. 

"No, he won't believe us." Sam muttered dismissively which, after today, was probably true.

"Even if he did..." Steve added before Sam finished his sentence. 

"Who knows if the Accords would let him help." He sighed, staring at the wall behind Steve and I's heads. 

"We're on our own." Steve concluded, trying to sound confident but his eyes were showing a slight falter in faith. We needed more help than a super soldier with a shield, a super soldier with a metal arm, a man in a bird suit and a heavily pregnant goddess. 

"Maybe not." Sam uttered, reigniting a cinder of hope. He widened his eyes and nodded to me but I furrowed my eyebrows and tilted my head in confusion. What was he getting at?

He then lifted his hand up to his face and held his fingers, so it looked like he was holding something very, very small and a switch flipped in my mind. 

"We know a guy." I smiled with a playful glint in my bright blue eyes, remembering our not-so-pleasant encounter with the man that called himself 'Antman'. 

Sam, with some reluctance, then started telling Steve about the events back at the compound while I looked back over to the haunted Bucky. 

"Sorry. We haven't met yet, and I wish it was under better circumstances but I'm Theia." I formally introduced myself, trying to make a good impression on Steve's best friend. 

"I know who you are. I read about you in the museum, with Steve." He sighed, not looking up from his hands. 

It was a strange concept for us to already know so much about the other without ever actually meeting. I didn't even know I was in a museum. 

There was a slight lull in the conversation as I got a feeling that Bucky would rather be anywhere but here. "You are a very difficult man to track down, you know?" I smiled tightly at him causing him to sit up and actually look at me.