Chapter 94 ~ No Time Like the Past

We landed on a side street, near the heart of the battle. Our suits melted away into the compact bracelets provided by Tony.

I instantly heard the familiar, yet chilling screams of the Chitauri before Steve began his second commanding speech.

"All right, we all have our assignments. Two stones uptown, one stone down. Stay low. Keep an eye on the clock." He ordered just as the 2012 version of the Hulk jumped down the street, directly in front of us.

We all watched in alarm as he violently crushed a Chitauri soldier with a bashed-up car, repeatedly hitting him before jumping up and down to truly finish the already complete job. He then ran after more soldiers while Bruce visibly cringed at the sight.

"Maybe smash a few things along the way." Steve added as Tony and I locked eyes and chuckled at the innuendo Steve accidentally made.

"I think it's gratuitous, but whatever." Bruce sighed as he tore his shirt off, roaring softly as if he had forgotten how to be the Hulk. He pathetically smashed the roof of a taxi and threw a rogue motorbike before leaping off through the city in pursuit of Steven Strange along with the Time Stone.

It had been suggested that I had gone to retrieve the Time Stone, but I didn't think anyone would have been happy if I had ruined everything by doing something I may regret.

"Right. Let's head to the tower." Steve commanded as Scott shrunk down to the size of an ant and Tony changed into his suit. He took off and flew through the city with Scott holding on tightly.

As he flew away Steve and I began to sneak down the deserted streets. We had a few minutes until the missile blew up the Chitauri ships through the portal. We just needed to avoid our past selves until they had their hands on both the Tesseract and the sceptre.

We watched as Tony fell from the sky, saved by the Hulk and headed towards the tower to apprehend Loki

As we neared the tower, I felt a rush of power I hadn't felt in a long time. The tingling overtook by body as it ran up and down my limbs as I breathed in the energy.

I used the new flood of power to launch myself up the tower, scaling its walls to meet Tony in the penthouse while Steve used the elevator. All according to our plan.

"Better hustle, Cap. Things look like they're just about wrapped up here." Tony spoke through my earpiece as I neared a broken window, sneaking in undetected.

"Got it. I'm approaching the elevator now." Steve answered.

I picked through the glass from the shattered window before spotting Tony as he spied on the 2012 Avengers. I crept towards him and Scott as they arrested Loki.

"If it's all the same to you... I'll have that drink now." Loki stated, always trying to make light of a serious, condemning situation. Obviously, no one saw through it as the Hulk roared with his usual rage. I wondered how Bruce was getting along.

I almost lost myself a little, seeing Loki again. My chest contacted, stopping my breathing for a moment as I longingly watched my fallen brother breathing.

"All right, get him on his feet. We can all stand around posing up a storm later. By the way, feel free to clean up." 2012 Tony commanded as 2012 Thor and myself pulled Loki to his feet and strapped Asgardian chains around his wrists.

I tried to keep my cool as I caught a glimpse of myself gazing at Steve like a little girl in awe. I had to try and conceal my smile and focus on finding a moment to send myself to sleep for a few hours.

"Mr Rogers, I almost forgot that that suit did nothing for your ass." Tony muttered and my eyes instantly flew to the previously mentioned area. I smacked Tony lightly at his lack of subtlety. He was completely wrong, by the way and I needed to stop staring before the blush spreading across my neck gave me away.