Chapter 6 ~ Odinsleep

Odin was stood on the balcony of his and his wife's bedroom, staring out at his kingdom, deep in thought. He turned at the sound of his wife, Frigga busting through the doors, looking rather agitated. "How could you have done this?" She started; she hadn't spoken with her husband since Thor's banishment. She had now caught wind of the news that her only daughter was to be married to a stranger in a week.

"Do you understand what he has set in motion? He has taken us to the brink of war." Odin argued to his wife.

"But banishment? And an arranged marriage? You would lose them forever? They are your children!" She cried at him.

"What would you have done?" He questioned, partly trying to prove his point, but partly asking her advice.

"I would never have exiled him to a world of mortals, stripped of his powers to suffer alone. I would never have forced her to marry a stranger for the benefit of the realm, forcing her to act as a political move. I would not have had the heart." She cried as she attempted to change her husband's mind.

His forehead wrinkled. "That is why I am king." He hissed at her. "I, too, grieve the loss of our son, but his mistake has brought the Nine Realms to destruction, his sister aiding him. There are some things even I cannot do." He could see her heart breaking in front of him.

"You can bring him back; you can call off the wedding-" She whispered in a last feeble attempt to change his mind.

"No!" He roared, "His fate is in his own hands now." He softened not meaning to yell at his wife. Her eyes pleaded him, but he looked away, walking out the room leaving her to grieve on her own.

***

Down in the trophy room, Loki approached the Casket of Ancient Winters, hoping that his assumptions are incorrect. After noticing his lack of reaction to the touch of the Frost Giant, he has suspicions to what this meant.

He clasped his hands around the handles and raised it off the podium, terrified as he watched his hands begin to turn blue.

"Stop!" Odin shouted from behind him.

"Am I cursed?" Loki asked as his face followed suit to his hands.

"No."

Loki put the Casket down. "What am I?" He muttered as he examined his tainted skin.

"You're my son." Odin confirmed cautiously, stepping towards Loki, slowly.

Loki turned to face his father, revealing his blue appearance with his blood red eyes. As he stepped away from the Casket, his skin faded back to normal. "What more than that?" He demanded.

He walked forward, towards Odin with a clear anger developing under his skin. "The Casket wasn't the only thing you took from Jotunheim that day, was it?" Loki sneered as he met Odin.

"No. In the aftermath of the battle, I went into the temple, and I found a baby. Small for a giant's offspring. Abandoned, suffering, left to die. Laufey's son." Odin explained, nervous about how he will accept this revelation.

"Laufey's son." Loki repeated, confused and angry at his father for not sharing this information.

"Yes."

"Why?" Loki asked tears in his eyes as he pondered the lies of his life. "You were knee-deep in Jotun blood, why would you take me?" He scowled as he ran his now normal coloured fingers through his greasy raven hair.

"You were an innocent child."

"No. You took me for a purpose. What was it?" He spat as he sighed at his father's lack of truth, the rage bubbling inside of him. "Tell me!" He screamed, finally letting out that fury.