Chapter 2 ~ Invasion

Down deep in the trophy room of the palace, the place where Odin stored all his relics from battle, a wave of ice blew over the stony floor. The guard on watch leant down to investigate the interruption of his watch when a tall, icy blue figure grabbed the guard by the neck, hoisting him off his feet. The Frost Giants had invaded Asgard.

The frost giant's arm forged into a sharp icicle that rammed into the guard's neck, knocking him to the ground.

The three frost giants that had snuck in then sprinted down the hall in pursuit of the Casket of Ancient Winters, a relic they believed that was rightfully theirs. The middle, tallest one, then picked up the casket by the intricate handles and turned to escape.

However, he had barely walked three steps before the wall behind the casket dissolved.

The Destroyer, the suit of Asgardian armour animated by magic to guard Odin's treasures, sprung to life. Fire rising into the face of the Destroyer, blasting the frost giant holding the casket into nothingness.

The two other frost giants made a run for the steps leading out of the trophy room but before they even heard the casket drop to the floor they were melted from existence.

***

Chaos exploded in the hall in the realisation that the Frost Giants had invaded Asgard from Jotunheim, breaking the peace treaty formed many years ago.

This act of terrorism was enough to reignite the war, especially since the invasion took place during the coronation of the next king of Asgard, interrupting the ceremony before Thor could take his place on the throne.

I knew this would enrage my brother and that he would not stop until he achieved revenge of the highest level. I trusted my twin with my life and knew that if he was going after revenge, I would be fighting by his side.

Odin then stepped down to where Loki, Thor and I had grouped and led us towards the trophy room without saying a word.

As we entered the room, the Destroyer stepped back and the wall reappeared in front of the casket, hiding the protector of Father's treasure. He walked down the hall regarding the walls and floor coated with frost, the guard frozen solid on the floor, and the remains of the burnt frost giants, all while we followed him. The scene was truly unsettling causing the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end. I felt my brother's anger and bitterness stirring under his skin as he blurted out that "The Jotuns must pay for what they have done!"

I gave my twin a nervous look before our father replied quietly and calmly. "They have paid, with their lives. The Destroyer did its work, the casket is safe, and all is well."

"All is well?" I questioned sarcastically.

"They broke into the weapons vault!" Thor interrupted as the anger became more and more apparent on his face. "If the Frost Giants had stolen even one of these relics-"

"They didn't." Odin cut him off, continuing to observe the Casket of Ancient Winters as it glowed deep blue.

"Well, I want to know why!" Thor raised his voice as Loki raised his eyebrows in surprise of his sibling's outburst. I locked eyes with Thor and gave him a small encouraging smile as I understood how he was feeling although I was a little nervous for the consequences of the aftermath.

"I have a truce with Laufey, King of the Jotuns." Odin continued as Thor's rage surged through his veins.

"He just broke your truce! They know you are vulnerable!" Thor exclaimed as Odin finally turned to face us.

"What action would you take?"

Thor straightened up preparing his answer. "March into Jotunheim as you once did. Teach them a lesson. Break their spirits so they'll never dare try to cross our borders again." I absorbed his words thinking that that sounded rather fun before my father argued back.