Chapter 61 ~ On the Bench

Sam, Bucky and I ran out of the terminal and onto the tarmac. The more I ran, the harder it became to conceal my intense discomfort. I ran as fast and hard as I could; the sooner I was in the jet, the better.

Sam was directing us, using Redwing, to where their jet was parked. I spotted Clint and Wanda running in the same direction. As soon as she caught my eye she gave me an annoyed look, telling me that what I was doing was stupid, which of course, she was right. 

I looked away from her and continued running, a little slower, towards the hangar which was getting closer and closer.

We then levelled with Steve and Scott, and I smiled widely once I saw he was uninjured but the look I received did not match my affection. It was a look that everyone seemed to be using when they looked at me today. Did I have something on my face or?

Steve quizzically raised his eyebrow as I ran towards him. I nodded my head to tell him I was fine and that we just needed to stick to the plan. I wasn't sure if he believed me but the finish line was in sight, so we ran towards it as a pack.

"Come on!" Steve commanded as we headed for the jet.

I slowed up a little, so I was towards the back and Wanda ran closer to me. "I swear, if I have to physically force you to take it easy, I will. You are being reckless-" She started as we ran. 

"I'm fine! Or I will be." I interjected as I envisioned myself in the comfort of the Quinjet, safe and sound.

Suddenly a bright beam of light tore into the concrete, blocking our path. I looked up to see Vision floating in the air, towering over us threateningly.

"Captain Rogers... I know you believe what you're doing is right. But for the collective good... you must surrender now." He spoke in his monotonous voice that seemed to convey some sadness as well. As he spoke, Tony, Rhodey, Nat, T'Challa and the Spider-kid all lined up opposite us with Vision floating down to join them.

We were staring at each other with only the broken concrete and the want to not hurt our friends between us. 

Almost everyone had masks on, hiding the emotions on their faces, except Nat. I locked eyes with each other, and she gave me the same look everyone else was. It was like I was in grave danger, or everyone knew I was going to die. I gave her a sad smile as we faced each other, trying to forget that this conflict is going to tear us apart. 

I remembered Heimdall's instructions to try and keep this family together, but I don't think he anticipated how difficult would be.

"What do we do, Cap?" Sam asked as everyone on our team looked to Steve for what to do. 

"We fight." He ordered with some reluctance, and I took a deep breath and pushed my pain into the shadows ready to fight but Steve raised his eyebrow and shook his head. "Theia, don't you dare even try. Stick to the plan." He ordered protectively causing me to sigh and turn around.

"On it." I stated kind of sadly as I walked away from the fight. "I'm just going to sit down..." I announced rather loudly so that the others could hear before whispering "in the jet." to myself. Hopefully they would become so wrapped up in trying to hurt each other that they wouldn't notice me sneak to the jet. 

I hid behind a van while I waited for the sound of impact. I couldn't watch them fight. It was like pouring acid on my heart just hearing it. 

The first sound I heard was the loud clink of metals crashing together, no doubt Tony's suit and Steve's shield. The sound of small explosions from Clint's arrows and the swish of the Spider-boy's webs. I had to get out of here.