Chapter 38 ~ Ultron

We all gathered in the lab after discovering that the Iron Legion we didn't destroy got away with Loki's sceptre. Thor followed them into the night, trying to get it back but he hadn't returned yet. Daylight was now creeping through the skylight of the lab as we debriefed what had happened and what we needed to do. 

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out. He used the Internet as an escape hatch." Bruce explained as he clicked through one of the computers. Tony was distractedly staring at the broken parts of the Iron Legion robots that were scattered across the desks.

"Ultron." Steve confirmed, shaking his head. I leaned against the desk next to him while the others checked out the destruction this 'Ultron' caused.

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Nat informed us.  

"He's in your files, he's in the Internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Rhodey concerned as he walked across the room, nursing his injured shoulder with an ice pack. 

"Nuclear codes." Maria Hill muttered while she picked glass out of her foot.

"Nuclear codes." Rhodey confirmed. How were we supposed to fight the Internet? "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

"Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." Nat argued.

"He didn't say 'dead'. He said 'extinct'." Steve corrected her.

"He also said he killed somebody." Clint explained as he stood behind the railing and rested his hands on it. 

"There wasn't anyone else in the building." Maria answered, still picking glass out of her foot.

Tony finally moved his attention from the broken Iron Legion, and walked towards the middle of the room, looking a little sad. "Yes, there was." He declared, tapping his tablet in the air. A distorted orange hologram appeared in front of him, glitching around. 

Ultron had brutally, through the internet, destroyed Jarvis. That glitching orange hologram was the remnants of Jarvis "What?" Bruce gasped as he walked around the hologram. "This is insane."

"Jarvis was the first line of defence. He would shut Ultron down. It makes sense." Steve explained.

"No. Ultron could have assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy. This is... rage." Bruce concluded. Rage was definitely something that he understood. 

The floor started actually shaking as my brother appeared, fully dressed in his armour, his fist clenched tightly around his hammer. He was marching with great force towards Tony, who definitely did not see him coming. Thor clasped his other hand around Tony's neck and pulled him up into the air.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Steve and I called out in synchrony as we walked up behind him. Thor was really angry, I could actually feel the blood boiling under his skin as I grabbed hold of his wrist and pulled him back, but it was not much use.

"It's going around." Clint added a little sarcastically as he watched from a distance. 

"Come on, use your words, buddy." Tony choked out as his legs swung around a little. 

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark." Thor growled as he held Tony up in the air like he weighed nothing. 

"Thor, put him down, for goodness sake." I snapped and Thor dropped Tony to the ground. I gave my brother a frustrated look as I sighed through gritted teeth. He keeps trying to say that he doesn't want to punch his way out of things, but he keeps contradicting his words with his actions.