Chapter 23 ~ The First Loss

We ran up a flight of stairs to a balcony and Thor stopped and ripped off his overcoat, allowing me to jump on his back before he swung his hammer and pulled us off to the dungeons. 

We landed in the middle of chaos. A riot had broken out and many prisoners had escaped and were fighting with Asgardian soldiers. I spotted Fandrall and Volstagg fending off a few at a time.

Thor and I stood in the way of a few prisoners and brandished our weapons. They stopped in front of us and backed off a little at the sight. "Return to your cells, no further harm will come to you. You have my word." He dictated before a prisoner punched him straight in the jaw. He grabbed him by the neck and held his face towards his own. "Very well, you do not have my word." He threatened as he smashed his hammer into the prisoner's face.

I stabbed my staff into two prisoners, one on each end and electrocuted them. I looked to Loki's cell and saw him sat on the floor reading. Thank Odin it wasn't him causing all this because I would actually kill him. 

I make my way past the fighting prisoners and soldiers, taking out a few enemies as I went and tried to find the source of the problem. I found one of the cells with the barrier shattered. I stepped up and inside the cell and saw dead bodies scattered on the floor wrapped up in a blanket of black smoke. 

One of the dead bodies had a face that I recognised. It was Stefan. His eyes staring blankly to the white ceiling above him, his arms flailed as his sides. His death proved that this attack did not come from the Marauders, even if they were helping. They wouldn't kill a high-level member of their group. 

I stared down at his limp body, his soulless eyes imprinted in my mind. I stepped back, away from the bodies as the black smoke lapped around my ankles and spilled out of the cell. I shook it off and cleared my mind but before I could even turn around, a thunderous rumble shook the ceilings and walls. 

I turned and saw my brother and the others standing over the motionless bodies of the prisoners. We all shared a mutual agreement that the fight had moved elsewhere. I turned and took one last look at Stefan's body. As much as I hated him, it was still unsettling to see him dead. I think this might be really bad. I looked back and found myself only in the company of corpses. I jumped out of the cell and over the bodies in pursuit of the fight. 

I ran up to Loki's cell to check he was still in there and okay. He was sat, without a care in the world, reading on the floor. He looked up at me expectantly. I just stared blankly at him, shocked he was so uncaring about the situation. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled, a little confused, before turning and running after the others. 

I caught up with the others and ran beside Thor as we tried to find the source of the rumble. We ran into the throne room and the floor was covered with mangled bodies of both Asgard's soldiers and what appeared to be an army of Dark Elves, but it couldn't be, Father said they were extinct thousands of years ago. God, I had seen too many dead bodies for one day.

I looked past the bodies and saw a giant black ship that had crashed into the palace. How the hell could this happen? What happened to our defences? Thor glanced at me, and our twin-telepathy told me that he shared these questions and my rage.

A squad of soldiers stormed up lead by my father and Sif and came in our direction. Father scanned the scene and spotted his throne that was completely demolished. The fact they took the time to destroy the throne meant this was political and terrorism. 

I watch as father stood in the middle of the room. "Frigga." He muttered under his breath. Jane was with Mother, and whether they were going after Jane or Mother, they were picking a fight with the wrong people.