Chapter 20 ~ Celebrations

Thor and I made our way to the barracks where we found our father overlooking the training warriors.

"You know that your little secret is really no longer a secret." Thor muttered to me as we walked through the groups of duels.

"How does everyone know about Steve?" I asked desperately as I was practically terrified of Father finding out.

"Who do you know other than me that was down on earth and witnessed your passionate leap into Captain America's arms? Loki. It was only a matter of time before he got revenge on us in any way he could, you should have seen this coming. It's only a matter of time before father finds out." Thor warned me as we climbed the steps towards the balcony our father was stood on.

We stood on either side of him and placed our hands on the stone railing as we looked out on the barracks. "Is Vanaheim secure?" Odin asked us calmly.

"As are Nornheim and Ria. Though our work would have gone more quickly with you at the fore." Thor responded as I saw Nathair duelling a few other soldiers on the other side of the barracks.

"You must think I'm a piece of bread that needs to be buttered so heavily." Father smiled as the light reflected off his golden eyepatch.

"That was not my intent." Thor smiled in response. I raised an eyebrow at him. Of course, he was trying to flatter Father. Thor shook his head at me a little, telling me not to argue.

Father looked down at me and my eyebrow fell, and I looked back out on the view, pretending nothing happened but I could feel his eyes burning into the back of my head. "For the first time since the Bifrost was destroyed, the Nine Realms are at peace. They're well reminded of our strength and you two have earned their respect and my gratitude."

I placed my hand on top of my fathers in order to show my appreciation for his appreciation.

"Thank you." Thor muttered as he smiled at his feet.

"Nothing out of order, except your confused and distracted heart." I was praying that this was aimed at solely Thor and not me too. My eyes widened for a split second as our father pulled the conversation onto a topic that I would rather not discuss.

"This isn't about Jane Foster, Father." Thor tried to defend himself.

"Human lives are fleeting, they're nothing. You'd be better served by what lies in front of you." He stated as he gestured towards Sif who had just defeated another soldier.

He then turned specifically to Thor. "I'm telling you this, not as the Allfather, but as your father. You are ready. The time has come for you to take the throne. Embrace and celebrate what you've won. Join your warriors. Eat and drink, revel in their celebration. At least pretend to enjoy yourself." He finished before walking off through the soldiers and back to the palace, leaving Thor and I on the balcony together.

I knew that father was talking specifically to Thor about Jane, but I couldn't help feeling that he was subtly aiming it at me too. I think he must know. I'm actually pretty surprised that Loki didn't out me earlier before he was imprisoned.

I understand that he wants me to go for a fellow Asgardian, I really do, but you can't help who you fall for and the fact that I have been away from Steve for a little while now, pains me.

I couldn't let father tell me that we are not destined to be together, I had to avoid the conversation all together. I knew that one way to ensure that it will never happen is if I keep him off the scent. I had to deceive him.

And I knew the perfect way to do it.

Nathair was the perfect option to use to hide my feelings for Steve. If Father thought that I was with him, he wouldn't have the opportunity to tell me to not be with Steve. Yeah, it was kind of using him but I'm sure he wouldn't care.